304 mysterious dying - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 08:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

304 mysterious dying

Hey all, I posted this a while ago but I either get it fixed or get it towed according to the owner of my domocile. My 76 CJ-7 has a very strange, seemingly unfixable problem. Symptoms are: dying, just like you shut off the key and changing time (up tp 10*), timing at idle is also erratic. If timing is reset it runs fine till it decides to start dying again. Here is a list of things done to try and eleviate the problem,

New or Reman,
Ignition Module
Coil
Coil Wire
Distributor
Distributor cap
Rotor Button
Pulg wires
Plugs
PCV Valve
Fuel Filter
Air cleaner (K&N AND new paper)
Preheater hose
Carb
Oil filter
oil
Vac hose to temp sensor in air cleaner
vac hose to baffle sensor on air cleaner
vac hose from carb to distributor
Voltage regulator
plugs (again)
dash pot
Positive and Negative batt cables
groundwire, engine to frame
igniton switch
water remover (in gas tank)
High octane gas

PLEASE HELP...only options left that I see are the timing chain/gears and the distributor gear on the cam. anybody have any ideas???

Thanks
Scott

Scott,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 09:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 304 mysterious dying

Fuel pump ? , Fuel tank vent ? The timing will jump around if it's running rough...whats the vacuum doing before it quits ?...did you hook a test light to the coil (+) and see if it loses juice....or Put a glass fuel filter or sediment bowl (farm tractor) in the line and see if you're getting gas.

It won't restart without turning the dist ? are you sure ?...thats a biggie...get that one right, for sure....which way are you turning it ? same way each time ?...

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 10:22 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

When you replaced the distributor did you put a new vacuum advance on it too ? Have you checked the fuel pressure off of your fuel pump ? What about the ignition switch itself ?
Have you done a vacuum test on the motor when it`s running ?
If the engine is shutting down it`s either fuel or electrical .

Jeff

<font color=black>Summer is just around the corner [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] </font color=black>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 11:03 PM
Way Outta Control

Ok... quick rule of thumb!

1. If the engine dies like you've turned off the key, it's usually electrical related.
2. If the engine dies sputtering and coughing, it's usally fuel delivery related.

Lucky You! I suspect you've got two problems and are chasing them like they're one. Try dividing them between the cut out problem and the timing problem and see if you can make some headway on ONE before you work on the other.

Oh yeah, did ya check the timing chain and gearing?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 11:10 PM

Before you gut the engine, try replacing the ignition module if you have electronic ignition.

Jeeplvr
http:// www.trailhed.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 11:13 PM
Official Historian

I was having a similar problem. I replaced both the ignition module and the coil and the problem didn't go away. Then I replaced the pickup coil in the distributor. I haven't had a recurrance in 2 1/2 years/30k miles.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 11:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

304 replies

Dirtrod:
Fuel pump ? , Fuel tank vent ? The timing will jump around if it's running rough...whats the vacuum doing before it quits ?...did you hook a test light to the coil (+) and see if it loses juice....or Put a glass fuel filter or sediment bowl (farm tractor) in the line and see if you're getting gas.

It won't restart without turning the dist ? are you sure ?...thats a biggie...get that one right, for sure....which way are you turning it ? same way each time

I cant actually open the hood and get a read on it while it show symptoms...only happens reliably when driving...cant just stand there for hours waiting for it to die. It will restart by turning the key...however wont run for too long after symptoms start w/o resetting the timing

Jeepzilla:
When you replaced the distributor did you put a new vacuum advance on it too ? Have you checked the fuel pressure off of your fuel pump ? What about the ignition switch itself ?
Have you done a vacuum test on the motor when it`s running ?
If the engine is shutting down it`s either fuel or electrical .

Its gotta be electrical, however i havent tried the above and will (changed ignition switch, not the one w/ a key)

LEVE:
Lucky You! I suspect you've got two problems and are chasing them like they're one. Try dividing them between the cut out problem and the timing problem and see if you can make some headway on ONE before you work on the other.

Oh yeah, did ya check the timing chain and gearing?

It's the same problem..it ALWAYs cuts out like you shut off the key..only when the timing changes too much does it backfire and cough. I Havent checked the chain yet b/c of lack of expertise, but will have it done if I run out of options.

Jeeplvr:
Before you gut the engine, try replacing the ignition module if you have electronic ignition.

Been there done that.

WILL:
I was having a similar problem. I replaced both the ignition module and the coil and the problem didn't go away. Then I replaced the pickup coil in the distributor. I haven't had a recurrance in 2 1/2 years/30k miles.

Great suggestion, although I'm not positive b/c I replaced the entire distributor and it still has the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll try some of these and keep you posted.

Scott,
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 11:53 PM

Re: 304 replies

An easy way to check the chain is to remove the distributor cap and use a socket and breaker bar to turn the crank. Note how much slop you have in the chain by watching the rotor on the distributor. If you have a lot of chain slop, you will have a long delay before the rotor turns. If the chain is in good condition, the rotor should turn slightly after you turn the crank.

Jeeplvr
http:// www.trailhed.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 09:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

seems like the problems i'm havin' too. I do need to check the timing chain and pull the distributer. Mine is running but a little rough.......good luck

'77 cj7, 304, 31"tires
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 06:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sent private note

Scott,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode