Buying a jeep - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Buying a jeep

Alright, i have a 90 yj jeep lined up to buy, but the 90 engine is not nearly as good as the 91 engine. The 90 jeep is 4,500, with no big problems but the seats are cracking. Can i get a good 91 for around the same price that is good, or should i stick with the 90 and upgrade in like 5 years, and if i did upgrade the engine, how much would it cost to put a 4L in it with fuel injection? thanks
andrew

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 08:41 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Buying a jeep

Whoooooooo Nellie........ that Jeep Fever is takin' over!

IMHO the 4.2L block is every bit as good, if not better than the 4.0L block. But were I you, I'd save my money, wait a little while and buy the 91 or newer to get the fuel injection. To me, that's what makes a 4.0 more reliable than the older Carb'd 4.2 engine.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

so the 90 6 cyl is a 4.2L engine that is not fuel injection but carbd?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 10:53 PM

Not only is it carbed- but it has the biggest POS carb ever stuck on that engine [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] The upside is, its easy to replace. The Rochester 2-barrell from a '65 Impala with the 283 V-8 bolts right onto the manifold, but the linkages may need some adjustment.

I replaced my Carter BBD (thats the stock POS it has on it) with a Weber carb. Runs great, idles nice and low (BBDs dont idle, they just Burp, Burp, and Die) I also got to ditch miles of vacuum lines, and eliminate the computer (computer controlled carbs- who'd have thunk it?) from the system.

If I'd known the difference back then I'd have held out for a '91 or newer Wrangler, or pre-80 CJ-7.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 10:06 PM
Enthusiast

Hey rice701, somehow I got the impression that you're thinking of buying a Jeep. From the posts I've read it looks like you don't have tons of money and want sometihing reliable. It also seems like everyone is recommending a 91 or newer 6 cylinder. In my opinion, you should consider a 4 cylinder. The biggest complaint against the 4 cylinder is the lack of power, but they actually have plenty of power until you put huge tires on, the type that require a lift to fit. So unless you plan on installing a lift and large tires, a 4 cylinder should be fine.

jerry
87 Cherokee 4.0, 90 Wrangler 4.2, 95 Wrangler 2.5
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 01:42 AM
Old Hand

If you buy a 2.5 with the intent of upgrading the engine in a couple of years, it will cost much more than you think. The 4 cyl came with a wimpy tranny and a t-case with a different spline count input.....

So, if you upgrade the engine you will most likely be looking at replacing the tranny/tcase as well. Will the tranny you are looking at have the right output?

If you hold out for a 4.0, you get a better tranny/tcase which may never need to be replaced depending on your needs.

I bought a 2.5 thinking I was going to upgrade the engine to a 5.0. I didn't know at the time it would require changing the whole drive train. I sold it when I realized how much I would have into a '93 wrangler. Now, I plan on putting the same into my Scrambler, but I feel it is a better platform to build (for my needs/likes).

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 08:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Listen to Raymo and Sycho, wait and get a 4.0 Wrangler 91 or newer.I have a 90 with the 4.2, its a great Jeep but I wish I had the 4.0. The BBD is a POS and the cost of the Mpi upgrade is costly, so save your money and start out with a 4.0. Trust me once you have a Jeep you will make numerous upgrades, so I would stay away from the 2.5 as well.

Edder

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode