How to wire aftermarket roll bar light into doors? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

How to wire aftermarket roll bar light into doors?

I bought the $20 roll bar light from quadratec and am wondering how to set it up so that it will go on and off with the doors opening and closing. I'd also like to be able to turn it on and off via a switch. Is this all possible? Right now I have it simply hooked up to a constant power source and a ground and am using the switch on the unit to turn it on and off. I have an extra switch on my dash from the rear wiper of the hard top i sold that i'd like to use to control the light. Is there a way to work this all out? By the way, I have an '87 YJ. Thanks.

Donny

1987 YJ 258 I6, 5 Speed, TFI Upgrade, MSD 6A, TFX Exhaust, Smitty Sure Steps, Weber to install when it gets a bit warmer
1999 Cherokee Sport, Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 12:10 PM

Re: How to wire aftermarket roll bar light into doors?

Leave the switch on the light in the on position and run a wire from the dash mounted switch to the poititive side of the light. This will alow the switch to control the light. Now hook up a relay and use the door jam switch as the ground for the relay and have the power out of the relay tap in after the switch. This will allow the door jam switckes to control the dome light as well.

An even more simple method is to run constant power to the light, use the dash switch and the door jam switchs as your grounds. Again leaving the switch on the unit on constantly.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 01:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You can get 'pin' switches, or door switches from a good auto parts store or a place that installs car alarms. You just drill a hole in the body where the door will close on it and mount it. If you want to email me directly how exactly you want it to work, I will draw up a wiring diagram for you.
Regards,
Josiah
[email protected]

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 01:09 PM
Way Outta Control

Maybe this will help turn on the light... click on the image below...

Wow, I love makin' things "Clicky!" Rene, Yes, you created a Monster! Is this a more pleasing size?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 04:43 PM
Old Hand

Hey Larry,

Is your clicky piccie large enough?? I am running 1280x1024 screen and it still doesn't fit... I knew I shouldn't have told you how to do it... It's like a kid with a new toy! Hehehe....

Hooch

'83 CJ-7 258/TF999/D300 in Land Rover Country

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode