360 Swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 09:48 AM
85Jeepny

360 Swap

What is all involved with swapping a 360 into a CJ7 and where can I go to get info/parts etc. The jeep had a 258, t-5, Dana 300.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 10:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 360 Swap

hey Im doing the swap on my friends Jeep right now...so stand by and I will give you all the pertanant info and small stuff everyone might miss.

Mark (OIIIIO) Langmotorsports(business)
1977/CJ7/Glasstub/460ciFord/C6Auto/NP205/4"LIFT/33'S
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 11:37 AM
85Jeepny

Thanks, I'm gonna tear mine out this weekend. I would like to know the cost and everything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 11:48 AM
Can't Get Enough

Check out the tech section of http://www.swbbbs.freeservers.com/
The engine section has a write-up on the 360 swap that might help.

80 CJ7 258 T176
36X12.5 Swampers
Fiberglass body
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 09:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have done this swap, It is probably the best one yet! I used the motor mounts out of a wagoneer,had to cut them downa little, not much with my swap cause a wrangler frame is only 1" narrower than a wagoneer. I went with a 401 instead of the 360. I used the 727 tranny, and the dana 300 bolts right up to it. I had to build my own cross-member. I also have a 2" body lift and still had no clearence problems. The only problem i am having now is the radiator, but i think i figured it out. I am going to use the all aluminum B-cool radiator it goes for about $530.00 Basically everything i have used on my swap is from a 1960's to 1979 wagoneer or grand wagoneer, so it has been pretty easy! If you run into any problems during your swap feel free to e-mail me maby i can help. [email protected]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 09:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just did the same swap. 360 in place of 258. Bolts up to trans. clutch linkage is the same. I replaced the clutch although I think it was the same. The only trouble I had was with the flywheel. The motor must have had the wrong one put on at some point because it had a bad vibration. Bought a new hayes and is ok. Shouldv'e replaced the balancer too. The 360 rebuild got expensive. Had to bore and replace some valves. I used the M.O.R.E. bomb proof motor mounts. I like them but they do transmit a lot of vibrations. The hardest part was spending time with a shop manual and figuring out which wires to cut from the fuse box. Only need a couple--coolant temp, ignition coil, oil pressure, starter, choke , etc.. I used Edelbrock intake and carb- both performer. Works pretty well. It does stall on steep up or down hills though. Maybe a hand throttle will cure.I used a heavy duty V8 stock radiator from the local parts store, with a flex fan for now. Great engine swap with tons of power.

84 CJ7,AMC 360,dual lockers,33" Swampers,5 spd
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 08:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The fuel line runs down the passenger side for the 258. you will either have to re-route it down the drivers side or rig the line to run over to the fuel pump or run a electric pump.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode