Replacing axle bearings and races? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Replacing axle bearings and races?

I called Woody's 4x4 and asked how much for them to change the axle races in my D44 since they have the axles right now. They said like $150 or so. F#[email protected] that! How hard would it be for me to pull them out and put new ones in? What tools and how do I do it? Also, where do I get the bearings and races? I found a shop that'll press the bearings on the axleshafts for $25, both D44's. Thanks!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Eat, Sleep, JEEP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44s w/Detroits and 4.56s soon to go SOA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 01:16 AM

Re: Replacing axle bearings and races?

$150 for both axles, with high quality races and bearrings, isnt really that bad, considering they will have to clean up the seats, and they will be warrantied, if they leak or fail in the near future.
I would do them myself, though. Get a Chiltons/Haynes manual for a vehicle with those axles(usually between the two manuals you can get enough information to do a job right). The advantage to having the shop do it is. of course the convenience, and the warranty. The advantage to doing it yourself, is cost savings, knowledge gained, and the fact that you can make sure its done right.
Your Choice, James

Jeff
89 YJ
"I hope someone got a picture of that"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 03:06 PM

It was very easy to do on my axles..
I'd never done it before.
I spent about $30.00 for timken bearings and seals and such..
Harmons offroad wanted 200.00 to do it

76 CJ5
Mobile trashcan at the moment..
SWB BBS Member Page!(exclamation)
http://www.shortwheelbase.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 05:31 PM
Official Historian

Joey, the AMC 20 with two piece axles doesn't have the races pressed onto the axles.

To remove the bearing on the dana 44, drill the retaining ring but don't drill into the axle shaft. Take a chisel and split the ring. You can now remove the bearing and seal. You will need a press to put the new retaining ring on with. I paid about $55 per side to get mine replace at a shop.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I just talked to Lee at Woody's, and he told me $130. I didn't talk to him last time, so that's why I call back. He said that it'd be $50 a piece for the bearing and seal kit, and then $15 for labor. He said they need to put it on a lathe or something and polish it. For real? Think I can get the bearing kit cheaper and have them install it?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Eat, Sleep, JEEP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44s w/Detroits and 4.56s soon to go SOA
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 10:50 PM
Official Historian

If you called around, you might save yourself $5-$10 per side. Just have to ask yourself if it's worth making two stops. Try to stick with Timken though.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 01:40 PM
Veteran

Once you removed the retaining ring as Will suggested you might be able to put on the new one by freezing the shaft (maybe ask the food to move out of the fridge temporarily) and by putting the retaining ring in the oven. Once the shrinkage/expansion did it's job it should drop right in. Hopefully... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 01:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've seen it done a couple of times. Drilling the retainer seems to work for getting it off. In one case we used a press (we had access to one at the 'Auto Club' here) and it went on without any real drama. The other one (different D44, different time) they used the freeze axle/heat bearing thing and it worked like a charm, just slid right on. but I think that may or may not work all the time, and I'm not sure if this method is recommended by the manufacturers or not .....

I'm not sure about what he is charging you for the 'kit', but 15$ for labour sounds reasonable to me. Shop around for prices, and if you get a better one, ask him if the 15$ still applies if you supply the parts. Try Drive Train Direct.

Chad

Chad Lloyd 95 YJ 4.0 NP435 EBD20 woodies D44s 4.88 detroits SOA revolvers 35 X 15.5 SXs 8274
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode