Anybody started mods for gas prices yet? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Anybody started mods for gas prices yet?

Are you all starting the gas saving mods since the gas prices have started climbing? Having been through two of these gas shortages/price hikes, I've started the gas conservation mods. I only live 2 miles from work and work 4 days. Sixteen miles!!! Somehow that turns into a tank of gas a week?! I'm still playing with the BBD. Today I mated the Jeep base to an OLD BBD. It's one of the first to have the vapor canister fitting on top. Had to drill a couple of passages that were rerouted over the years to get the idle circuits to work. So far so good. The first crankup in the morning will be the test. Choke didn't act just right today. Had to set it hot. Not the best way. It seems to have better power and driveability than the modified version I took off(no computer connection on the back). If that doesn't help the "consumption", the next step will be a 2100. Something has to help. 13.5 from a 258 isn't where I think it should be even in a J10/727. I will keep ya'll posted.
Keep the Jeep.
Jackie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 10:03 PM

Re: Anybody started mods for gas prices yet?

Bought me a bigger wallet. That way I can carry enough to fill it up.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
"Get your finger outta there"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 10:17 PM

13.5 is about the best I've ever gotten out of my CJ. Luckily it's not my daily driver, for that duty I use my 1/2 ton Dodge and get a whopping 16-17 mpg. Really looking foreward to the end of the summer when they predict it will cost me a hundred bucks to fill that thirsty pig. But the bright side is that I only have to drive to work once a week, how I still go thru a tank every two weeks I cant figure out!!?? Maybe I should also just buy a fatter wallet, then I would just have a fat empty wallet! On a serious note, I try to avoid jackrabbit starts and try not to haul as$ everywhere I go, and tune em up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 11:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I'm just itchin' to try my zero vacuum, zero fuel, no-power/coast arrangement as outlined in a previous post. The only carbureted four-barrel I have is our FS GM 3/4T, but for sure it needs all the fuel mileage help it can get.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 11:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Easiest mod I could find was to remove all the emissions. Went to headers and straight pipes and disconnected the EGR and now the old CJ gets 20 MPG!!! Thats even an average including city driving. Don't ask me how it works.

cjcrawler
"The Beast"
74CJ,304,D20w/Tera Low 3.15:1, dana30&44wlockrights,fullcage,woods'shafts, 33" BFG MT's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 12:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

For my gas saving mod, I decided to ditch the Dana 44 swap, and go with an engine swap. I'm debating. Should I go with the 2.5L, or get a 2.8L out of a Cherokee? I dunno. I could always just find a kid with wrecked Honda and slap that in Hell, I bet I'd be the first person to have a VTEC power YJ!! Hehehe...and probably the last after every single last one of you kicks the living crap out of me

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Eat, Sleep, JEEP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44s w/Detroits and 4.56s soon to go SOA
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 01:08 AM

Yeah, my modification was to go from a miserly gas conserving 2.5 liter, to a Ford 5.0 with a 190lph pump, 24,lb injectors, a fuel guzzeling cam, performance mass air meter, 70mm throttle body, and Im chomping at the bit to install my port matched GT 40 manifold and Plennum.
Then I went out and pulled off an almost impossible scheduling coupe for the company I work for, made them extremely reliant on my performance abilities. Then requested some more company gas cards,... they cringed, then issued me a handfull of cards, for more fueling options. After all, my Jeep actually gets pretty good gas mileage(im getting about 14 mpg), compared to my Motor Home (6 mpg), or F250(8 MPG).
I think though, that for the average Jeeper, just trying to save a few bucks on gas, that your best bet, is to keep your engine well tuned and to keep your foot out of the throttle. Detuning an engine(unless you are really gonna do it right, with smaller more fuel efficient radial tires, and gearing changes, and overdrive trannies), usually just means using that much more fuel when when you have to constantly mash the peddal on uphill grades, or when passing.
Just be sensible and ride out the screwing we are currently experiencing.

Jeff
89 YJ
"I hope someone got a picture of that"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 01:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My new mod is my 350 Im putting in, oh well Ill be able to get to the gas station faster. Its not my daily driver, just my toy.

Hey!!!!! Can your truck come out and play with mine????
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 07:54 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

This is a serious issue. For all of you guys who really think "we are getting screwed", realize that a good portion of the world pays a looooooot more for gas than we do. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] In my opinion, it's not likely gonna get better.

My fuel saving mod was to get a new daily driver. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I picked up a Honda CRX that gets about 45-50 mpg. No sh|t. My best tank is 50.4 mpg, all highway. My jeep gets likely 15 or so, my pickup truck about 10. So, for every gallon, at $1.50, that the honda uses, the truck would use $7.50 !!

Every vehicle I have how has a specific purpose. Yeah, I don't get to jeep every day, but, that just makes the jeeping all that more fun, and I can modify the jeep even more, as it doesn't have daily driver duty.

Just my opinion,
Pete

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 08:09 AM
mudracer

My most recent mod was to build a new 454 Chevy big block for my heep! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Probably more efficient than the previous tired old 396 though. The next change will be to get a different tow rig/daily driver truck for better mpg. Thinking about a Dodge 3/4 or 1 ton 4WD turbo diesel. Anyone know of a '89-'93 for sale?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'84 K20 driver
'80 CJ-7 BBC, 1 ton
<font color=orange>'79 K10 mud racer</font color=orange> (for sale)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode