T-5 rebuild-Noise in 1st-2nd-3th - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 05:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

T-5 rebuild-Noise in 1st-2nd-3th

Is there a good book for a rebuild of a T-5
I have a bearing noise in 1st 2nd and 3th gear.
I'm hopeing I can replace all the bearings, seals
and synchronizer assemblys and small parts and be good to
go. What do you think??????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 07:03 PM
Enthusiast

Re: T-5 rebuild-Noise in 1st-2nd-3th

Gregg;
In pulling down my T-176, I could not have done it without the knowledge/brain trust of this SWB-BBS. Also having the Factory AMC shop manual for it, pulled me out of the fire more times than I can count. If memory serves me correctly, Turner 4WD, had a good selction of new/NOS and reprinted manuals. Also might want to contact the guys at "ThinkJeep", they help when I was needing manuals too. Let us know how you make out. --DuaneD

85 CJ8 Undergoing Frame-up Modifications w/258/T176/Dana300-Looking 4 oversize gas tank, & aluminum/chrome spoke wheels.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 07:09 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: T-5 rebuild-Noise in 1st-2nd-3th

I used to have one, but gave it away. Is there a noise in 5th gear, but not as noticable? It could be your 4 gear bushing or pocket bearing. In 4th, it is the only time it is locked to the shaft, and dosn't turn. I would not spend a lot of money on a t-5, but to open it up, and repair only what is necessary wouldn't be that bad.

Note the way it shifted before the noise. If you drive it easy, most of the brass should be ok. Usually you can get by only replacing 2nd and 3rd blocking ring, maybe 20 or 25 bucks each. These get most of the wear. I have even swapped 5th blocking over to 3rd. when money was real tight, and got away with it. 5th gear almost never wears.

The problem with the noise can be found visually, and upon inspection by cleaning. Some of the larger bearings can become expensive. I would take a close look at the bushing for 4th.

I would always keep in the back of my mind the thought for a swap. Mine blew 3rd gear and the cluster shaft all of a sudden. I wasn't accelerating ar decelerating, just cruising at 40, and then everything just disappeared as though it never had a 3rd. gear. 158k miles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode