tax tag and title questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

tax tag and title questions

hey guys im about to get a tag for my yj, but the problem is tax, i have a receipt from the guy i bought the jeep from for 600, and it wasnt totaled or anything just didnt have an engine tranny or tcase and the rear axle was blown, now the receipt isnt notarized and i do have the title but i dont want to have to pay tax out the butt for what the man says i payed for my jeep, i live in georgia if anyone knows this states tax laws but really i am just looking for ideas, legal or not so, i just dont wanna be sqrewed. email me if you feel guilty posting your "not so uncle sam friendly ideas" and thanks guys keep on jeepin, oh and payin taxes!

if it aint broke, break it so you can learn to fix it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 05:02 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: tax tag and title questions

Two years ago I paid $250 for an 85 Montero. The 5 speed transmission was bad and needed repair. I had the title changed and paid the correct tax on the $250. Here in Wisconsin they will check up on title transfers that they thing are on on the "up and up." So, the vehicle finally went down to Texas and was given to a charity. About three months ago Wisconsin DMV called up the original owner wanting to know how much I paid for the Montero. Yep, they were thinking I low balled the State and were trying to save a little tax money.

Document the condition of the vehicle as purchased. Most States that have laws to recover transfer taxes that they were cheated out of do take the condition of the vehicle in account when sold. Remember what your Mom said... be honest! It pays in the end, and usually along the way to the end too! Pay the right tax, do the right thing and let the concequences follow.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 05:05 PM

first, i am in Indiana. i have been, and currently am, in the same situation. i bought a 84 BMW 318 for $300. they saw it in the parking lot and didn't believe me. luckily, i had most of the reciepts with me to prove that: it didn't run (tune-up and solenoid valve), only had 3 tires and wheels (receipt for 1 tire and wheel), and needed brakes, shocks and struts (receipts for all). last fall i traded a jeep auto trans and x-case for a 1990 Katana 600 with a blown motor. i am going to claim this one as a "gift" and will not have to pay any taxes. hope this helps! matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

first off i want to say that i dont plan on cheating anyone, i did get the jeep for like nothing, but i have worken on ti for almost a year now atleast 3 days a week, nothing but cosmetics are stock and few of the body parts arent, i have payed sales tax on nearly every part that i have bought for it and just dont want to pay again. also i am in the same situation with a motorcycle, as the guy with the katana sota, my girlfrineds dad gave it to me to fixup for her to ride, so can i title it as a gift? im kinda new to this titling thing, its always been done for me/

if it aint broke, break it so you can learn to fix it
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 05:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just a couple of ideas did you take any pictures of the Jeep when you got it that could help prove your case,or could you possible get a notorized statement from the previous owner as to the condition of the jeep at the time of purchase.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 06:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeez, I'm glad I live in Oregon. I think it cost me $5 to transfer the title to the last vehicle I bought. No sales tax here! (The income tax sux, though)
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode