Which T5 Tranny oil??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 01:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Which T5 Tranny oil???

Ok, I know we have had this discussion......but here we go again. As we all know, Jeep recomends ATF in both the T5 and Dana 300 transfer case. Well, I just got through dishing out $900 on a T5 rebuild and a new output shaft for my Dana 300...ouch. Anyway, the transmission shop recomended 30 wgt oil for the tranny and GL5 gear oil for the transfer case. I am going to assume they know what they are doing. So I did it. No problems shifting...so far.

Now....at work we have this guy that is into racing big time....he knows his stuff. He also knows trannys. He is saying that I should use synthetic gear oil in the tranny. We all know what happens when you put regular GL5 gear oil in it. On a cold morning, you will be stuck in first...assuming you got it in gear to begine with.

I do know from personal experiance that gear oil has a better shear strength to handle the loads created by gears...and better temp tolerance. Motor oil starts to break down at high temps. ATF can handle the temps...but I'm not sure about the shear strength.

Any tranny/oil experts out there?

John...southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Rear, Detroit Front, Solid Axle's, Durabak, York Air

They say we learn by our mistakes......I guess thats why we are all so smart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 01:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Which T5 Tranny oil???

definately not a tranny expert, but I've been running atf in the wifeys mustang with 5.0/t-5 combo for about six months, no problems....yet.

<font color=orange>--Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and the world laughs at you.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 01:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

oh yeah, I had the rear output seal go south and it started leaking fluid (six months ago). It originally had atf in it from the rebuild about two years ago. I just topped it off, really.

<font color=orange>--Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and the world laughs at you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 02:38 PM

Borg-Warner wants you to use atf because there are some bushings(like engine bearings) that are too tight of a tolerance for 90 weight to get into. If the trans had an oil pump to lube these bearings(which it doesn't) it wouldn't be a problem. Use the atf, I've found it is always best to go with factory recomendations.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 03:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't use ATF in theD300, it needs gear oil. ATF is just fine for the T5.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 04:11 PM
Addict

Based on the info I've gathered, AMC couldn't make up it's mind when specifying what lubricant to use in the T5's. While it's true that Ford and Chevy both specified ATF in their T5's, AMC apparently flip flopped during the years they used the T5. Some years called for ATF, others like my '86 owner's manual, call for gear oil. I stick with the gear oil. My T5 takes too much abuse to run anything thinner.

'86 'glass CJ7, 33x12.5 BFG AT's 258, T5, D44
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 04:40 PM

I love this thread every time it comes up. When I bought my 84 last year, I checked the Haynes manual, it said d300 atf, t5 gear oil. Then I was in Checker and they said it calls for d300 gear oil, t5 atf. Autozone agreed with the Haynes manual. I called the dealer and after being on hold for about 30 minutes they said we don't know, but you can call xyz 4x4 and they will know. I called them and was told d300 gear oil & t5 atf. That is what I run and haven't had any problems.

Does anyone really know for sure? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

BigHG
84 CJ7
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 04:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

no expert.. but i ran gear oil in my T5/d300 combo for 5 years.. 2 years of that spent in southern california.. the others in north carolina.. i also drove it home regularly to new york.. and yes even in the dead of winter.. granted it was stiff.. but i could still man handle it around enough till it warmed up..
most jeep experts will recommend gear oil.. atf is fine.. its thinner and used for finer shifting.. but will also make it alittle noisier.. gear oil.. more quiet.. alittle harder to shift..
its jeep.. not a ferrari.. and im no panting waist so.. gear oil it is.. i thrash my stuff.. so i want the thickest crap in there...

i believe in gear oil.. it does have gears in it.. i never had any problems..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 07:37 PM
Can't Get Enough

AMC did make changes to the t-5 somewhere around '83. The early ones used a bushing for first, and later they changed to a bearing. The later ones with the bearings usually called for Dexron2, and the earlier t-5's called for an amc lube that was similar to 75-90. I don't remember the part number, but it was in the book I used to have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode