Replacement Fuel & Temp Guages for CJ-7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 12:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Replacement Fuel & Temp Guages for CJ-7

Does anyone know of the best replacement guages to use. Tired of playing with factory original equipment. Sending unit seems OK. Have replaced original with no luck including re-grounding instrument cluster.
Auto Meter fuel gauge ??? (5416???)
Temp gauge ???
Any help greatly appreciated.

Jeeps - Cigars and Guns. What more could a man ask for!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 01:44 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Replacement Fuel & Temp Guages for CJ-7

Wow, thanks for filling out the Profile! I liked that picture of your CJ and the snowplowin' around it. You've been here a few months now and in a year you'll be a PooBah like some of the others around here...If there's one thing you learn quickly about this group is that we'd rather fix something and spend money on better stuff than toss something that MAY work. To some guys this even extends to the BBD Carb. Those guys really got my respect!

So, have you gone to the Holy Grail of CJ Meters and read the Apostle John's Epistle to Jeepdom of Meterology? Well if not give it a try... what's ya got to loose but a little time? Just click on the Speedo Cluster!

It doesn't take much to diagnois and fix the Jeeps meters following John's guidlines. You mentioned you are having problems with the fuel gauge. Any other problems with other gauges? Read over John's stuff and come back on the forum with some specific problems... and we just may be able to help. It may save you a little money.

But if you really want to know what's the best aftermarket meter, well, ya got me on that one... cuz I don't use 'em. I like the simple OEM stuff.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 01:50 AM

"So, have you gone to the Holy Grail of CJ Meters and read the Apostle John's Epistle to Jeepdom of Meterology? "

Ha, ha, Larry ...
Gad, I like it!
Thanks,

BTW: As the 'Apostle' sez ... the OEM Stewart Warner replacments are the best ... the import VDO brand has the F & E and the H and C back asswards ...
And remember, both these replacement gauge sets are 12 volt units so all that 'Holy Grail' stuff doesn't count.
Just follow the instructions that come with the new gauge sets ...

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 07:12 AM

I used a set of Equus gauges from 4WD Hardware $24.99each. I spent about a week chasin my tail on that and even ordered factory replacement gauges. Personnaly I dont like the factory gauge design. I mounted the equus gauges above my oil and voltmeter gauges, it turned out great, plus they match the style of the factory gauges. Good luck.

Lugnut 77 cj5
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 07:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thank you gentlemen for your input.
Yes, I have been to the Holy Grail.
I will be tinkering today, if all else fails I will put a new guage into the old clock cutout hole. Ran out of fuel once on the highway, once too many. Take Care

Jeeps - Cigars and Guns. What more could a man ask for!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode