brakes..broke - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

brakes..broke

when i hit the brakes the jeep pulls right. so i replaced both front calipers and pads but it still pulls. i know it is def. the front right b/c on gravel or wet roads, that one locks up. i have bled and re-bled that line, but no good. the only thing i can figure is that the replacement was bad too and need replaced. any other suggestions? could rotten rubber brake lines do this?

thanks all,
shawn

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 01:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: brakes..broke

A bad rubber brake hose could possibly produce the symptoms you mentioned. However, the one thing that is jumping to mind is a possible warped rotor. Might be something to look into.

--Digger--

http://www.users.qwest.net/~ascanlon
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Already replaced the rotors and if it was the a warped rotor the pedal would probably have a shimmy to it

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 02:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You might have a collapse brake hose or bad brake proportion valve.

Nycjeep88 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Wanna go baja in NYC and see how well your suspension holds up [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] !!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

is there any way to trouble shoot that besides just replacing them?

shawn

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 03:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When was your jeep last alined?

<font color=blue> Muddynut </font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 03:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

On brake parts! I don't think so [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone?

Nycjeep88 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Let go baja in NYC and see how well your suspension holds up.... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

aligned? what's that? to answer your question...not since i bought it a year and a half ago. how would alignment cause that brake to lock up?

shawn

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 03:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Maybe your left brake isn't working very well? In a stock brake system on gravel the front brakes should lock up before the rears, because when you brake hard on pavement your jeep's weight will shift forward and the front brakes will do most of the work, and you don't want your rear brakes locking up on you. So don't ignore the left side; your right brake may be working perfectly.
Regards,
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 05:48 PM

i am thinking along the lines of 55cj5. sounds to me like your right is working and your left is on a holiday. when you get on the binders and it pulls to the right, does it continue to pull after you let off? if not, then your right is working and your left side is resting. if it continues to pull after you release the pedal, then the right side is sticking. did it get this way all of a sudden, or has it been gradually getting worse, or did it just come out from a long winters nap?

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode