howell and emissions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 11:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

howell and emissions

does anyone have any experience with getting emissions passed on a 258 with the howell tbi. Especially what to do with the existing emissions equip.(currently in a crate).

Also, I have had a problem with the engine running rich at idle. Howell and I have swapped around 4-5 chips trying to correct the problem but to no avail. This was right after the sys. went to market and they had no experience with the setup I am running, ie. Clifford cam and headers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 07:04 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: howell and emissions

One problem with a Howell TBI is constantly running rich. I never had that problem like many others the did the install. I wondered why? I've had my EFI system now for about 6 years and it's worked well with only one failure. The difference between my system and others that I found was the gas lines. My lines were rusted. The Autum before the Howell install I replaced all the gas lines. I went to a 3/8" return line. This seems to be the trick for lessening richness. Follow my logic.

1. If your using the stock OEM line as a fuel return, it likely 1/4", or 5/16" and this builds up too much resistance to the flow.
2. The resistance translates into a higher backpressure at the regulator.
3. The backpressure can't be overcome by the regulator and it passes that increased pressure to the injectors.
4. The on-time for the injector is set by the comptuer.
5. A set on-time and higher pressure at the injector means more gas past the injector pintle during the on-time.
6. This increased the richness above the ability of the computer to lower the on-time.

The result is the TBI runs rich.

Soulition: Measure the fuel pressure at the regulator, both from the pump, and in the return line. Increase the diameter of the return line as necessary to restore the regulator input pressure to normal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode