gear calculation table. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

gear calculation table.

I was wondering if anyone knows a site with a good gear to tire ratio table, I have noticed the one on 4lo.com but it only goes down to 3.31 gears and I was wondering what my ratio is with 33 inch tires now. Also what is the ideal gear ratio for a set of 35 inch and 33 inch tires, I figure between 4.11 and 4.56 but want to make sure. thanks

Jeeps are Built not Bought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 10:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: gear calculation table.

There is someone on here with one on their website that is great. One small problem, I can't remember who and I lost my favorites list. I am trying to scrounge it up.

Swavy00

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 11:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Well Mainey, I'm going to take a big chance here and say the word:......."Math"...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Are you still with me?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Heh heh heh....you gotta be careful these days because some kids have been through the "Self Esteem Skool" where it doesn't matter that you can't do long division as long as you FEEL GOOD about yoursefl.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] But enough ranting.....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] What works real good for stuf like this is to go to the tire catalogs and get the TURNS PER MILE that the tire makes. The dealer will let you get the info from his stuff. Then all you do is multiply the TURNS PER MILE by the rear axle ratio and you get driveline RPM at 60 MPH. So to compare one setup....tires AND gears.....to another setup, compare the RPM of the driveline at 60 MPH. If you know the Jeep has a certain rear axle ratio and it came with such and such tires, you can calculate how many RPM the driveline was turning in the completely stock jeep at 60 MPH. If you go to bigger rubber, and need to gear down to get your driveline RPM back to normal, you can just do it like this. TURNS PER MILE(stock tires) X REAR AXLE RATIO (stock) = TURNS PER MILE (new tires) X REAR AXLE RATIO (new) You see, this gives you the EQUIVALENT gear ratio to bring up the turns of the driveline so the Jeep engine can once again push the Jeep after you have installed those HUGE tires.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Now there....that wasn't so bad....was it?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 11:21 PM
Official Historian

Here's some:

http://www.ring-pinion.com/RPMCalculator.html

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 04:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<a href=http://www.superlift.com/gear.htm> Here's one </a> courtesy of superlift. I think it is the best one I've seen so far.
Regards,
Josiah
http://homestead.juno.com/fifty5willys

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

thanks cj55 that is exactly what I was looking for.

Jeeps are Built not Bought
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 10:04 PM
Can't Get Enough

There is a pretty good one at http://home.off-road.com/~wsjc the link is at the bottom of the page.

"Honestly, I didn't lift the Jeep.
I,um..ah..lowered the axles"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode