nv4500 input and np231 input - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

nv4500 input and np231 input

Okay, the nv3550 finally dumped on me. I just got my teraflex 4" and SYE and was waiting for a nice weekend to do it since I'm garageless, and now this. I know I could haggle with the dealer to get it fixed, even with my mods, but I don't want the same POS and I'm taking pretty much everything apart anyway for the lift and SYE. So, I was checking them out at JB Conversions and read that my NP231 has to have the "long 23 spline input". How can I tell if I have the long one? Also, It is $150 more for the 23 spline input on the NV4500. So how do I know if I need the 23 spline input? Thanks all.

A man's got to believe in something, I believe I'll have another[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 10:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: nv4500 input and np231 input

There is only one way. Drain the x-fer case and take the bolts loose. Pull it out, see which one you have, and put it back together.

I had to do it when I was getting ready to do my NV4500 swap, and I had to swap mine out in my '90 YJ.

It sucks to have to do it just to find this out, but you gotta do what you gotta do. The serial numbers won't tell you which you have and good luck finding out from DC.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Thanks, I'm pulling it out anyway so not that big of a deal. So if I don't have the long one I have to buy a new input shaft for the x-fer case too? What about the input shaft on the new NV4500, how do I know what shaft I need?

A man's got to believe in something, I believe I'll have another[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 04:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, if you don't have the long input shaft for the NP231 you will have to purchace and install a new one. Actually that statemant is only true if the long shaft is required(I don't recall off hand).

I would do two things next, before you do anything else. Order the NV4500 book from AA and contact John at JB Conversions...he knows just about everything about this swap.

Could you clarify your second question for me?

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I already got the nv4500 book a while back when I was thinking about doing this but it doesn't say much about the swap from a nv3550. The second question I just misunderstood what I read. I was thinking it said I needed some other kind of shaft going into the transmission. I thought it sounded weird, and I'm no tranny guru so I thought I'd ask. Just didn't think about it enough I guess.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Thanks for the help. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 05:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I may be wrong, but I thought that the 21 spline NP-231 input shafts came behind the 4cyl.
I would think that you should be ok, I second the advice to contact John at JB Conversions.
Sorry I don't have the number with me, but if you invest a small amount of time and search
thru some of the Monster links I've seen floating around, it would be worth your while.
The input of the NV4500 (10 spline) should be standard and if you get the correct tranny,
the output should bolt right up to the NP-231. It's a fair amount of work and you'll be
testing your fabrication skills, but you won't regret doing the upgrade.

-Gus-

90YJ 4.2L NV4500 456:1 33's Twin ARB's XD9000i - San Diego, Cal.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Thanks. I tried to call them today but got an answering machine. I also emailed them. I have no doubt that I can do it, it's just a matter of time, money, and weather[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. I do agree this will definitely give me a lot more knowledge, putting in a new tranny, SYE, and 4" lift all at once. I can hardly wait[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks again all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode