Which Flywheel & Pilot Bushing for a 4.0 Swap? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Which Flywheel & Pilot Bushing for a 4.0 Swap?

Hey gang, I am swapping in a 94 4.0L motor into my 85 CJ. The 4.0 is going to be mated to my T-176 and Dana 300. Which flywheel do I use on the 4.0 motor, the one from my 258 or the one from the 4.0 to mate the clutch and 4spd. T-176 (I am using the orginal bellhousing that came with the T-176)? Or does it make any difference? Are the starters the different too? Lastly, which pilot bushing do I get to work with the 4.0 crank and the input shaft of my T-176?Thanks for the big time help, I am a newbie on this one. --DuaneD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 07:15 PM

Re: Which Flywheel & Pilot Bushing for a 4.0 Swap?

I am in the same boat, swapping a 2000 4.0 into my wife'scrambler, and I'm keeping her T-176. I am going to keep the 4.0 flywheel, mostly I guess because it has the provisions for the crank sensor if I go that route. I haven't looked finding which pilot bushing, however, but post what you find out!
Bob in Ma

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 09:21 PM
Addict

Depends on what you do for the CPS. If you use the harmonic balancer type, you can use the 258 flywheel. If not, you will need the flywheel, and need to modify the bellhousing, or get one from AA for the CPS.

The starters are different.

I used an NP-435, and it was the same bushing that was used on the 258. But I don't know about your situation.

CJ-8, 4.0, NP435, D44 x D60, ARB's, 4w Disc, 2"YJ springs, SOA, 1" Body lift, 38.5" TSL SX

CJ-6, Cherokee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Bob in CA;
Thanks for the important points. I have the 4spd. T-176 with its orginal bellhousing that I will be mating to the 1994 4.0L engine. I assume now, the bushing I will use in the 4.0L crank is the same one for the 258 motor that fit the T-176. I assume that I will use flywheel and starter from the 1994 4.0L motor for this swap? I will purchase the harmonic balancer from Hesco to replace the stock one found on the 4.0L. I am I on the right page now? Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you. --DuaneD

85 CJ8 Undergoing Frame-up Modifications w/258/T176/Dana300-Looking 4 oversize gas tank, & aluminum/chrome spoke wheels.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 08:27 PM
Can't Get Enough

If you already have the 4.0's flywheel, I would purchase the bellhousing from AA. There is a couple of problems that are minor. 1st, the harmonic balancer from Hesco's kit relocates the serpentine belt out about 1/4 inch, so you will have to shim some brackets for the alternator and not press your p/s pump pully on all the way. This should keep your belts aligned. The kit is close to $250 with the sensor,bracket, and balancer. Next, if you modify your bell housing for the sensor, you will also have to shim the fulcrum ball for the fork out. This is because the 4.0l's flywheel isn't as thick as the old 258's. I simply drilled the stud from the back, and threaded in one from a Chevy, I have seen this aluminum post break off before, so I had the welder add some gussets when he did the sensor weld. I think the AA bellhousing is close to $500. but it is much cleaner in my opinion.

If you use the 258's flywheel, use the old AMC starter. If you use the 4.0l's flywheel, use the new ND gear reduction starter from the 4.0l'.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Dorfs;
What if I can us the bellhousing from the 4.0L? It was a bellhousing for the AX-15. Would my T-176 adapt to it ok? Also, what is your take (which one) on the flywheel busing I need for the T-176 and 4.0L motor, am I on the right page? Thanks for the input. --DuaneD

85 CJ8 Undergoing Frame-up Modifications w/258/T176/Dana300-Looking 4 oversize gas tank, & aluminum/chrome spoke wheels.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 10:46 PM
Can't Get Enough

I don't like the internal slave that the pre '94's used, so I never looked into it. I don't know if you could get it around your t-176 collar anyway. On the later ones, with the external slaves, I don't know if anybody makes a plate or not. You may want to get the AA book and see. I have seen the AA bellhousing, and it is nice and simple, which is my recommendation.

I have made a couple of ones by cutting out the sensor bracket piece real large, and grafting it into the original 258 bellhousing. This is when you have to relocate the fulcrum for the release arm. The location of the sensor bracket must to be real critical. It almost isn't worth the time and effort. I wish I could figure out how make an adjustable bracket.

As far as the piliot bushing goes, I'm not sure. When I had my t-5 behind the 4.0, I drilled out a 4.0 bushing, and pressed in a bearing that fit the t-5. When I swapped in the NV4500, I just ordered the correct one from AA along with an adapter plate for the 258's bellhousing. I am not familiar with the t-176, so I don't know what size the shaft is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode