(OT) kinda - postal Jeep - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

(OT) kinda - postal Jeep

I'm trying to find some tech info re postal Jeeps. Speciffically what engine & tranmission should be in a 1984 RHD postal Jeep?
I've been on a couple different search engines and looked through a bunch-o-postalJeep websites. Tons of people want to share their restoration stories, but none seem to share the tech info... unless the engine was swapped out.
A buddy has a 1984 postal Jeep. He does not know what engine & transmission it has. I'd like to find out. Anyone know where I could look to find this out? ...and maybe some other tech info too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 04:14 PM

Re: (OT) kinda - postal Jeep

PostalJeep.com

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 04:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

your buddy's jeep should have a chevy 151 4 cyl. motor and chrysler 904 tranny. swap that thing out asap. pretty reliable but no power. Have him check out this site and he'll learn tons about what can be done. Besides, sycho15 and I can use some more postal nuts in our corner (although mine is almost at the point where it's hardtop is all it has in common with other postals!!).Good people and good info here.

<font color=orange>--Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and the world laughs at you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

thank guys...
probably couldn't call either of us postal Jeep nuts. sorry. I have nothing bad to say... it is just that I have a house a wife three kids a dog and a stupid hamster, I'm strapped to keep the one Jeep I have running :-)
His wife used to drive this postal Jeep on her mail route. now it sits in the field behind the barn. I wanted the rear axle so we worked out a deal, but I have to take the whole Jeep. it's way rough, don't think it feasible to save - maybe I'm wrong. I'm just trying to figure out what it has and what it is and what might be useful for my CJ-7. Yes, I'm a cannibal. Sorry, but I honestly think this Jeep is too far gone.
I saw it once a month or so back, don't think it is the GM engine. I didn't pay much attention but I think it was OHC, I remember that the fuel pump was at top right side of the engine (makes sense if it is OHC) and the valve cover had AMC cast in it. maybe it is the Audi engine? maybe the engine was swapped? maybe it isn't an '84 Jeep? ??????
I dunno...
I'm going over there tonight. We're going to work on getting it out of the field and onto a trailer. I'll check for things like VIN and engine/transmission serial numbers. I'll check it over very careful before it gets pillaged, no sense destroying what could be saved.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 01:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not sure that the rear axle will fit your cj-7. It's really narrow (pre-1971 cj-5), and it's spring over axle configuration might throw a monkey wrench your way, also. Good luck, though.

<font color=orange>--Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and the world laughs at you.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 09:26 PM

There will be a VIN plate right on the dash with the model year and make. When you get the Jeep post it on the PostalJeep.com BBS's FOR SALE forum and sell off all the little parts (brake lines, lights, seats, steering column, master cylinder, etc) that are unique to the Postal series.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 04:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sycho--great idea. And to think that I was going to scrap my parts jeep out. Have you sold any of your stuff there?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 08:34 PM

No, I buy stuff off there though. When the muffler shop routed my new exhaust inside the frame they ran it up against the rubber rear brake hose, which of course melted through. When I tried to take off the hose it ripped in half, and the top fitting turned out to be pretty damned stuck. Quite a few people on this board thought my Postal was beyond saving as well, but its turning out all right. I'd be done with it by now if I wasn't putting all my time into the Wrangler. There are tons of parts that interchange between the DJ and CJ series. The dash guages, possibly the winshield glass, the front fenders and hood are short-nose CJ-5 pieces. The bubbled-out grill gives extra room for engine swaps and is fairly well sought after. The frame is a CJ-5 frame, but fully boxed and much stronger. Postals are actually good platforms to build on. I know of another one in a local 'yard...I wonder how hard it would be to swap a CJ-3a or M-38 body onto one of these...hmmm...this train of thought can never lead to something good!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 09:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I hasd the same thought a couple of months ago, but decided that a tricked out 4x4 postal would be more unique. And cheaper to build.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 07:05 AM

I found a postal jeep that had been hit on the front fender for $400. Somebody else actually found it for me but they didn't know what year it was. They did tell me that it has square headlights (like a YJ) and a hard top. Could this thing be a wrangler? I was thinking of getting it for parts, or maybe fix it up and sell it?
big ed

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode