Skid-plate help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 03:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Skid-plate help

Hey guys, got a question. Finally got my 350 in my jeep, thanks to Steve Parks' Busch racing shop in CT. I was fortunate enough to use his shop for my repairs cause my buddy pits for his # 31 wheelan car. Anyways, what I need to know is..WHen I trie to mount up my tranny and t-case my bolts weren't holding. Are there nuts welded on the inside of the frame?? Please say no. If there are, has anybody ever fixed this? Do I need to cut out holes in my frame and weld nuts on, then weld the frame closed? I wanna drive this thing bad but dont want to weld the whole skid-plate up because then Ill have to fix it again for sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again guys.

Hey!!!!! Can your truck come out and play with mine????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 05:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Skid-plate help

yes, there are nuts welded to the inside of your frame.
You are going to have to cut slots along the side of the frame above the holes so you can hold a nut there to put a bolt though.

Rob
http://sites.netscape.net/tapboxerc/homepage
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 07:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

How did you get hooked up with the guys at Park's Race Shop? Have you found any good locations for off road adventures in CT?

I live in the Northwestern corner of CT and I am always looking for new spots.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 07:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

you could drill and tap the holes to a larger size, or weld a stud in the hole and use nuts on the bottom also.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 07:58 AM

Two of mine were stripped out and I just drilled them out and re tapped to the next larger size,unless the nut has broke loose inside the frame.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 08:35 AM

They are thin little sleeves on the bottom inside.
They can be tapped one size larger but that makes the walls of them pretty thin.
There ARE some new replacment 'crush' sleeves available to replace them.
Basically you drill the old ones out, stick one up in the hole and when you tighten up on them a bulge area below the female threads at the bottom of the new sleeve crushes, expands and rivits its self inside the new hole.
This is an ideal fix! I found them at my well stocked local industrial 'fastiner' store.
Another practical solution is to drill all the way up through the top of the frame rail then drill a little larger bottom hole and insert a crush tube much like how the side frame motor mount holes are designed.
Then run a long bolt all the way to the top of the channel and use a nut and washer up there. The crush tube prevent the frame from caving in and loosen the bolts. Unfortunately, this method weakens the frame somewhat as the top and bottom channel sides are the most critical.
The 'cut the lower frame side and weld a nut in there' method is your other option ... but that IS a messy operation.
The 'weld a stud' is a pretty good idea ...
You could cut a slightly larger fresh thread, screw in a stud and then penetrate a weld all around it.

Take yer pick ! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode