anyone been through the mojave? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 01:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

anyone been through the mojave?

okay, my sister wants to take me through death valley and the mojave desert in her new stock TJ. anyone been through there, know of any cool roads/trails to take? any advice would be greatly appreciated. we will be taking it easy out there, since her jeep is stock and it will only be the two of us out there (wish I had the extra time to drive my jeep down there). we plan to do a jeep style "thelma and louise" through the mojave, although niether of us are named Thelma or Louise and we don't plan on shooting anybody and we really don't plan on driving off of any cliffs. would just like to drive through some really cool terrain, poke sticks at poisonous critters, then pitch tents where those pissed off poisionous critters we previously poked sticks at sleep. again, any help would be appreciated! thanks! :-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 07:19 AM
sas87yj

Re: anyone been through the mojave?

yeah it's gonna be a warm one![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
how much time tou got? which way are you coming from and where are you ending up at? i am from calif originally and lived in death valley for 6 years in the 60's. i can recommend some trips if i knew more of your time limits.

steve

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 07:36 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I've been through the Mojave and Death Valley last summer when me and my buddy took our cross-country trip in a soft-top YJ. We took some good trails through the Mojave and drove all the way through Death Valley. That was probably the most desolate I've ever felt, driving down into Death Valley.

Here's my advice: Go to Needles, California, and go to the Ranger Office in town. Talk to a guy by the name of Gilford Warner, or Wilford Garner, something like that. He works at this office, and also at the other offices around there. He's an awesome Ranger. He told us of a Jeep trail through the Mojave. "Go to this gate, open the gate - it's ok, it's a trail - and go about 5 miles or so. You will make it in a stock jeep, as it's downhill in this direction, etc., etc." It went right next to the wilderness boundary, and we saw mine entrances and stuff. It was way cool.

He's a good ranger. Tell him that Steve and Scott in the green Jeep from Massachusetts last summer sent you. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

We camped close by there also in a campground. This trial takes you over by the Kelso Dunes and Kelso Depot. I don't have my journal from the trip with me here at work, or I could give you some more detail (and get the poor guy's name right [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]). The trail started not far from the campground we stayed in.

And yeah, it's damn hot in late July. It was 120 as we went down into death valley.

Good luck - it's a great time! Take lots of water. We had 5 gallons in the cooler.

Pete

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 01:40 PM
Can't Get Enough

Haven't been to the Mojave, but I would advise that when you go , you go well prepared with more than enough water and food and good cover to provide shade, I would map out the route you plan on taking prior to going and make someone aware of this route, and advise when you will return. Stick to the route. Anything can happen in the middle of a desert and since you will be by yourself you should take every precaution necessary in case your Jeep gets disabled or someone gets hurt etc. so someone can find you. Other than that make sure you take good pictures and post them when you get back [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

82 Scrambler/360/T5/D300/4" SUA/AMC20/Rear Discs/Somers Bros Axles/D30/3:73's/Lockrite Lockers.
2001 Bare Stock Trendy Jeep Sport (everyday driver)
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 04:30 PM
Enthusiast

Post deleted by Shootist

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 05:20 PM
sas87yj

yeah shootist-
death valley was a trip indeed![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
lived at wildrose station- 3600 elevation
parents ran the little cafe, cabins, gas sta.
i went to school in trona-40 miles. got a drivers license at 14 to go to school only. did a lot of wheelin in my dads willys and land rover. i would say one of the greatest trips would be up goler wash from panamint valley and into butte valley. of course this would go by the barker ranch where the infamous charlie manson was popped. i've got some slides of manson's bus that i shot all the windows and tires on the week he was busted![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] damn i hope he doesn't read this! anyway surprise canyon was also a cool trip up to panamint city but lately it has been a 4wd/winch situation and now it is closed in favor of the eco-nazis. i would say get out there and see what you can while there is still some freedom. i am going there in the fall after it cools down.

steve

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 05:55 PM
Enthusiast

Post deleted by Shootist

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 07:36 PM
sas87yj

shootist-
maybe "pup fish"?
yeah some rare breed of fish only exists there in death valley. a lot of tax dollars spent to study and preserve them- i don't see the big deal. let them alone and they either survive another zillion years or they bite it![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
this subject could go on forever on many "endangered species" so i will stop here.
yeah colorado is a beautiful state. vegas is booming for business but lacks the beauty.

steve

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 10:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

we'll be heading out of the bay area on friday toward death valley, spend a night there, then head for the mojave and spend a couple of nights there. as long as I can get back to sf for a flight back to seattle tuesday evening, the plans are pretty open.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 10:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey, thanks pete! that was perfect! we'll be sure to check it out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode