Need help, too many Jeeps - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 10:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need help, too many Jeeps

Ok, I have too many Jeeps now. I have the 87 YJ described at the bottom of this message. I've been trying to slowly build it up, I've been nursing it back to health for the last year so haven't done much as far as upgrades. I ran across a 78 CJ5 with a 360, 33's, 4" susp, 9000lb winch, tuffy console, cd, new top, bikini top, upgraded roll bars, tire carrier all for $4500 sounded like everything I wanted to do to my YJ at a substantial savings. I checked it out and found it rides nothing like my YJ, don't know if that's just characteristic of CJ5 or if it needs some suspension work. Over all I'd say it's in fair condition for a 78, some rust some fixit's. I'm buying it this weekend but can't afford to keep both. What should do?

87 YJ 4.2L 31's TR upgrade, looking for MSD, Rochester 2G Carb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 08:35 AM
jeepfiend

Re: Need help, too many Jeeps

The Wrangler will probably be a little more reliable. As far as the suspension, there are some lifts out there that are a little softer, and ride better. Some of the old lifts were more for looks, and function was not high on the priority list. But, in my book the CJ is the way to go. Others I am sure will disagree[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], and that is fine. The short wheelbase on the CJ is also a big contributor to the ride of the CJ. I guess I would look at it this way. If you need a reliable commuter and a daily driver, the newer Jeep probably makes more sense[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. If you are looking for something that is fun to drive and has headlights that are the right shape[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img], the CJ is the way to go. The YJ will probably get a little better mileage, but the fun factor is slightly diminished. When it comes right down to it, you will just have to decide which one you like better. You will probably get about every opinion possible here on the board.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 08:51 AM

Jeepfiend...I have to go on a trail ride with you so I can show you my "MY HEADLIGHT AINT ROUND BUT I'M AHEAD OF YOU" bumper sticker. Honestly, does the shape of the headlight make a difference?
Just screwin with ya.

The cj5 is nice for a trail rig. Short wheel base and already lifted, but for a daily driver I would go with the wrangler. 23 year old wiring and components are worn out no matter how well it was taken care of.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 11:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't live beyond your means[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. If you can't afford 2 vehicles, and only own 1...don't buy another. That is how you get into credit trouble. Be honest with yourself, don't do something that you will regret in 2 months when you can't afford food or rent.

If you want the CJ and it is reliable enough for daily driving duties then get it and sell the YJ. That decision is up to you[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img].

Good luck and don't get yourself into a bind.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 01:17 PM
jeepfiend

I love giving the square guys a hard time[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]. I don't care what shape the lights are as long as it is a Jeep! I am actually comtemplating the purchase of a YJ at this very moment. It is going to be a long while before either one of my Jeeps are reassembled[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img], and I am having some serious Jeep withdrawls. I think I will put my seat in the CJ2 body tub (on sawhorses) and make engine sounds tonite[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. I haven't even been able to work on it lately, because I am building a fence in the back yard. The neighbors already think I am insane, so one more act of lunacy shouldn't really affect my standing in the community[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 10:18 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Reliability comes with time. Even new cars break down. You just have to feel out the rig, and tighten up the loose ends. I'm driving my Jeep as a daily driver, and it's very dependable. But it's NOT the same Jeep I bought back in '97.

Oh.... btw, a shackle reversal will really help the ride of that CJ5. Be careful, shackle reversal, and lift springs don't really get along.

Anyway.... I don't think you can make a bad move, just choose one. It's not a bad place to be. Between a good looking, ultimate trail rig, and a car with square headlights. It's your choice!!

Sorry... just had to add my two cents. giggle.

DREW
IN2DEEP <font color=red>78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode