Need fuel regulator advice - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Need fuel regulator advice

i have a yj with the intank pump for a 2.5 throttle body injection. i am running a carbed 2.5 and drawing my fuel with the mechanical fuel pump thru the return line. this doesn't allow for flow back to the tank. the fuel sending unit gets its power thru the pump connection, so without the pump, no gauge. can i possibly restore power to the in tank pump, and install a fuel regulator? if so, what brands are reliable? what psi? i used cagle years ago, but i think they went out of business a couple years ago. any thoughts?

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 10:20 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Need fuel regulator advice

I think that the way to do that is "loop" the pressure side to the return line, and "T" off of that. The tbi's system is a low pressure, high volume pump. The system runs about 9 to 11 lbs. with a dead head pressure of something like 20 lbs. With a carb I think you want something like 4 or 5 lbs. of pressure. By looping the lines, the pump will circulate fuel, and not overrun the regulator. You can check these pressures easy with one of those cheap pressure/vacuum guages at Checker or Sears.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 10:44 PM

Re: Need fuel regulator advice

Remove your sending unit from the tank. Remove the intank pump from the sending unit, and replace it with a piece of rigid steel fuel line, you should be able to easily adapt the intank filter to fit on the end. Cut the orange line that used to feed the power to the pump, the ground can remain, and leave the sending unit line (tan I think) in tact, and reconnect the connector to the tank, to regain your fuel gauge.
Then attach an inline regulator (either vacume controlled or an electric), before the carbuerator, and adjust to what works best, for your set up.
This is not a hard set up to do. Almost any engine running over 450HP needs more fuel than all but the most advanced and expensive in-tank pumps can handle, so muscle car gear heads running fuelies, have been installing high volume, inline pumps, and doing this swap for years.

Jeff
89 YJ
"I hope someone got a picture of that"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode