90 or 91 YJ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

90 or 91 YJ?

Ok
i have narrowed it down to bassically 90 and 91, the only thing deciding the diff i think is the fuel injection, is that realyl a big difference in reliability and stuff, and is it possible to upgrade from carberator to fuel injection and how much is that? also i understand the 6 cylinder engine changes between those years, one is the amc and the other is the 4L, is there one of those that is better and i should look for and how much better, like anough to make it so no matter what i want one year over another?
thanks
andrew
ps-if there is anything else big in difference between those 2 years, please tell me and tell me which is better and the difference.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 08:48 PM
Old Hand

Re: 90 or 91 YJ?

The 4L will give you about 50% more horse power than the carb. I think it is definitely worth going for the 91 instead of the 90. The 4L is also a great engine. That is why I got a 91 and not a 90.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

please, anyone elses input, i need a lot of help here =)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 09:55 PM
Veteran

fuel injected 91 all the way.

Jeeps are Built not Bought
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 05:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What's there to help? Bryan, told you the deal!
"91 is what you want. FI is the way to go.

Rob
http://sites.netscape.net/tapboxerc/homepage
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 07:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Get the 91 fuel injected. I have a 90 with the POS carter bbd carb and 9 mile of vacuum hoses and polution junk on it. You will be much happier with the 91.

1990 Wrangler YJ 4.2 6 cylinder 5 speed manual trans, 4 inch pro-comp lift, JKS quick disconnects, 32X11.50 Mud Kings, Warn xd9000i winch.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 10:12 AM
Veteran

Ok, let me put it in words you'll understand. At the last event our group was going up on this loooongg, steep, rocky trail section of about a 100 yards and here's how it all played out. Up close to the top a near stocker got stuck that needed winching. Next down the line a ~60s Willys carbed wagon starved out after doing uphill tow duty on another stocker that shouldn't have been there in the first place. So now he's in line for the winch (a burning up pos REP8000 btw). Right behind him (the stocker fell back to the bottom) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] is your's truely getting antzy waiting for a clear pass. Waiting for an hour with motor idling, foot on the brakes (e-brake was shot) on a 30 degree slope with about 50 yards of steep rocky trail below me and nowhere to go! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Was I happy the motor was working like a champ? You bet! Did it skip a beat? Not a chance. Did I limp with numb legs after getting out at the top? Yep! Would I get a carbed engine? Yes, if all I do is mud racing on the flats. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] On this slope carbs die!

Nuff said...

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 10:40 AM
Old Hand

Depending on what the price difference is, you can buy the fuel injection kit for about $2,000, but if you are doing that you should also put on a 4.0 head (it is a much better head design). So, for around $2,500 (plus some of your labor)you would be close to comparing apples to apples. The 4.0 '91 is ready to go without any mods. So, if the jeeps are anywhere near the same price, the '91 is hands down a better value.....Unless of course you want the jeep to stall at lights, not run well until warm, choke on steep hills.

Carbs aren't all bad, but the Carter bbd on the later jeeps is horrible with all of it's retrofitted smog junk. The fuel injection and head on the '91 are considered very good.

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode