YJ consumer reports - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

YJ consumer reports

In consumer reports it says that the early YJ's are bad and the newer they get the better but they are all bad till the last 2 years, the 94 and 95, well around 90 or 91 is what i want, should i really listen to consumer reports or are they way over exagerating? and insurence is also a big factor in what i get, which will be cheaper?
thanks
andrew?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 07:39 PM
sas87yj

Re: YJ consumer reports

i don't read consumer reports- never have![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
i go with my gut feeling and experience or learn by mistakes etc. what does the report say is so bad with them? the newer the auto the higher the insurance usually. depends on your age also right? and whether you buy just liability or tack on comp.

steve

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

well lets say for 90 it says engine sucks, cooling is average, fuel sucks, ignition is below average, electrical sucks, brakes are jsut alright, exhaust sucks, and integrity and hardware sucks, pretty much the same for 91 except the cooling is alot better and the ignition is a lot better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 08:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anything you buy that is 10 years old could have those problems, even cars they rated well. All depends on how it was cared for. Consumer Reports uses repair history as indicators. Something 10 years old may have had those problems already corrected. The 91 will be fuel injected, which is usually much more reliable.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 08:51 PM
Old Hand

Consumer reports has alway hated the wrangler. It is always on their list of cars to avoid. Of course I wouldn't say that there has ever been a reliable wrangler, but who cares....

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

HAHA, who cares, i actually care a lot, i cant have this thing breaking down on me in the first few years, i can barely afford the base wrangler. I wanted a car that looks cool as hell, picks up chicks, you can totally trick out, and can have a [censored] load of fun. i was like, wrangler is like that. i mean i can do upgrades of stuff, but nothing major for a few years, so you thyink most of them will blow out as soon as i get one or will it last a lil while?
thanks
andrew

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 09:41 PM
toyatic

I hate consumer reports. When I worked in electronics they usually got everything a$$ backwards. They could take the biggest terd and make try to make it a diamond. They rarely hit the nail on the head, usually they were off by a long shot... Just shop around and find a nice wrangler.. It took me atleast six months to find on but when I did, it was an 93 wrangler, 4.0, 5-speed, 27k miles... Perfect condition owned by a older couple. Never been wheeled, never even had the top or doors off. Always serviced by jeep.. they are out there just look..

4in currie lift, 4.56's, true trac, and 33's.. yeah it's a start!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 10:00 PM
Old Hand

Look for a stock one in great shape that has never been off road. I have had a ton of problems with mine. Things that I needed to fix that weren't related to 4 wheeling:
Something inside auto tranny cracked. Probably from previous owner abuse.
Exhaust manifold cracked.
All seals on axles, transmission, and t-case replaced. (make sure the t-case seal has not leaked because I probably bought mine with a dry t-case. It melted all the plastic inside and destroyed the forks.)
Many electrical problems due to loose wires and water leaking thru windshield - take care of that, replace seal and caulk it up if desired.
Failure to start - a huge tuneup cured that.
Water pump, heater core, radiator, hoses, u-joints, idler pulleys, belts - all "wear" items.
However, due to all the care and work I put into maintaining the Jeep, I think that it is more reliable now than it was 6 years ago when I bought it.
In fact, I haven't had a problem in a few years now. (I just jinxed myself)
BTW, Andrew, fill out your profile when you get the chance.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 12:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I don't think a Wrangler is any worse than other cars. Sure the older ones are a bit more of a PITA because of the lack of fuel inj. A Jeep's a Jeep. As was said before, just take your time. Look for one well taken care of. The more stock, the better IMOP. I bought my Wrangler about 8 months ago and went through the same thing. Just make sure when you're looking at one, to go through it REAL well. Don't pass something real small up. I almost bought one that had a dent in the back and he said it had just been rearended. Well it turns out the frame was tweaked. I also almost bought one that had the clutch and tranny going out. When I bought my YJ, the clutch slave cylinder went out. Other than that, nothing wrong. Good luck.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Eat, Sleep, JEEP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44s w/Detroits and 4.56s soon to go SOA
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 10:42 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

My buddy owns a 92 YJ w/4cyl 5 spd. He has had it now for 5 years and the only problem he has had is the starter . Other than that it`s been perfect . Half the battle is being smart enough to look it over well , just dont look at the outside and buy it . When we saw this one I spent 30 minutes just looking for frame cracks underneath etc... If you dont know Jeeps drag someone along that does . I have this other friend who will look at a 4x4 , not even pop the hood , lay out the cash and then bitch up a storm for the next 2 years at what a piece of sh#t it is . Whether it is a 87 or 95 , you`ll learn enough about them here that you will know what to look for .

<font color=black>Summer is just around the corner [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] </font color=black>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode