Electronic Fuel Cut-off Switch ideas ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Electronic Fuel Cut-off Switch ideas ??

Been thinking about this lately. What can a guy install in the fuel line system to instantly cut the flow of fuel from both the return line and the main fuel line . I`m speaking in terms of a roll over and it`s hard enough to jump into my CJ5 let alone trying to get out(in a hurry) when the shiny side is facing down . The roll over check valves etc in the CJ are long gone and I dont really want or need an electric fuel pump ( which would be easy to wire a kill switch to) so what can I install to prevent gas from spilling everywhere if a roll happens ? Something where you could have access to a switch inside the cab and just hit it and off shuts the fuel . I just browsed through the Summitracing cat and couldnt really see much of anything that might fit the bill here . CJDave , Leve , anybody have any ideas ? Thanks

Jeff

<font color=black>Summer is just around the corner [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] </font color=black>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 01:28 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Electronic Fuel Cut-off Switch ideas ??

Humm... this is a GREAT question. One usally doesn't have either the time presense of mind during a roll to shut off the engine. You're too danged busy just trying to stay alive an enjoy the experience.

So give that... how about a mecury switch? These little switches are mounted so the mecury in the switch enables the contact when the Jeep is Right Side Up. However, when the Jeep is belly up the contact is broken and the fuel pump is killed. Now, however, it may be prudent to install this device to kill not only the fuel pump, but also the ignition. It's not a hard update... and has an elegance to it. Thanks for asking....

NOW the downside.... DON'T EVER TELL anyone you've go that on your Jeep. The word would get out and pretty soon the Greens would be picketing your house and following you with an Emergency Environmental Response Team, just waiting till that little switch broke and spilled out the evil quick silver. Ya never know when you'll meet a tuna on the trail... one can't be too safe.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

I like that idea Leve. Only catch there is it needs an electric fuel pump to make that plan work . After going through all the stuff in the Summit catalog I can`t believe there is nothing that I can place in the fuel line that acts as a switch activated cutoff .See I was thinking of this as a good theft deterent also . I have 2 fenders and a new windsheild frame to buy and didnt want to spend the 100 bucks on an electric pump if it`s not needed .

Jeff

<font color=black>Summer is just around the corner [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] </font color=black>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 04:54 PM
Way Outta Control

Well, well, well, here's a case of ol' LEVE not reading the orignial post as well as I should have! Some how, in the depths of my little mind... I though you had an electric fuel pump? I really gotta learn to read someday! So... with the "I'm so stupid" confession out of the way... you can use the mercury switch to "Roll-Over" control a relay coil providing voltage to the igniton module. On the same input line install a kill switch that manually dumps power to the ignition. Same line, two dead birds killed with one stone.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 07:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] OOOOO....Kay! Here is the answer, Oh Drives-With-Jeep. The Hg switch is brilliant, and definitely should cut the current to the engine and the "Fuel Flow Cutoff Device" which I will spec in just a second. This can also double as a theft preventer.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Here is what you do......buy a six-port fuel changeover valve as used on the 1980 Shivel-A pickups for dual fuel tanks. This valve has a circuit for fuel and a circuit for fuel return. It is energize to pick up the LH fuel tank and no-energize to go to the right hand tank. Set up the valve such that the valve must be energized from the ignition circuit VIA a Hg switch, you could even attach the coil to the Hg switch as well. You go axles up....the switch opens....engine dies....fuel valve shifts to the two ports that just happen to have vacuum caps shoved over them.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 09:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Great idea guys! Your expertise amazes me.

Swavy00

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Well Dave you never cease to amaze me . That is just a marvelous idea and it is going to be implemented along with Leve`s Hg switch idea . See if I can grab me one off a Shivel-a tomorrow and look at some locations for mounting and such .
I guess with a locked hood ( for the security portion if it ) it would be better to mount the Hg under the hood as opposed to under the dash . Thanks guys ! Good ideas !!

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode