New guy with Q's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 04:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New guy with Q\'s

Hi everyone. I am new to the Jeep world. I have been wheelin’ for 5+ yrs but I have some Q’s about Jeep. I have a 2001 Jeep TJ w/ less than 3500 miles and 38 days old, 4 liter, dual tops, Dana 44, Quick Disconnects, well basically stock. I like crawling but do not do it extreme. Any help and opinions are greatly appreciated.
1. I am looking to lift about 3” and was wondering about some good but reasonable kits.
2. I want to put new rims and 31’s on but I am not sure of the proper backspacing I would need.
3. At what amount of lift would I have to change to a SYE at the same time as the lift. (will be done at a later time.)

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 04:38 PM
85Jeepny

Re: New guy with Q\'s

I would go with Rubicon Express. Like a 3.5" Super Flex Kit. My friends has 32" tires and it rides great. Incredible amount of flex too. The website is www.rubiconexpress.com. Usually at 3.5" or more you will have to go with a CV or Slip Yoke Conversion to stop driveline vibration. My friends has just a little vibrations at startup, he is running the 8" Aluminum Jeep wheels.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 06:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Congratulations on getting a kick-ass jeep. My dad recently picked up a tj just like yours-it's a great vehicle.

Depending on your $$$ situation, there are a couple things you can do:

First off, you can 31's stock on a TJ no problem. Disconnects and 31" muds on your TJ (do you have the limited slip rearend?) and you will spank 60% of the rigs out there. The great thing about the 31's is that you are well within your gearing/drivetrain limitations. If you go up to 33's or 35's, then you gotta re-gear.

If it were me, I would go out and get a set of 31's on 15x8 black powdercoat wheels. You can keep the wheels up thru 35x12.50 if you ever upgrade and they are like $50 apiece.

Like whoever else posted, the tarraflex/currie kit is incredible. it rides better than stock and flexes beautifully. It isn't cheap though (I think close to 2k), but it's worth the cash. You can run 33's with it, 35's with a 1" body lift, and you will never want for anything more.

'91 Wrangler; 6" Pro Comp Coil Conversion;
35" BigO XT's; 4.56 gears AND ARB'S!!!! (thank you santa)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 09:45 PM
I Do This For The Glory

If you're running 31's, just get the disconnects and leave the suspension stock. It'll flex very well, no rubbing, and if/when something breaks, no hassles from the dealership. I'm glad ours is still stock height, it goes very well and we've had probably $3K worth of warranty stuff done to it, mainly due to wheeling.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 09:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

31s? Really? I dunno....i find it har d to believe. We're running 33's on a 98 sahara with 3.5" of teraflex lift....and the front tires still eat the flares a little under compression....theoretically, a 33 is only 1 inch taller than a 31, radius distance...and with being 3.5" taller...and STILL rubbing...i find it hard to believe that 31s fit...lest they be very small 31s....

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 10:42 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Nope, they will fit. We have run 31" BFG MT's and AT's, and Conti-Trac MT's as well. In fact, at about 15K (6 months) we took off the stock 30's and went to 31's, now we have 86K on it and still no problems. They'll fit easily, on the 7" or 8" rims.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode