Review: POR-15 after 1.5 years of use. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2000, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

Review: POR-15 after 1.5 years of use.

Some of you may be interested in how the POR-15 has held up over the last year and one half in the Great Salted MidWest. When I rebuilt the tub I put 3 coats of POR-15 on the underside and inside of the tub, as well as on the frame and rear crossmember. Bear in mind that proper prep work had been done according to Restomotive for each of the areas.

Here's how it's worked out:

1. Tub:

The POR-15 did not hold on the floorboards. Within three weeks it had lifted up, exposing bare metal underneath. I was never able to get the coating to adhere to this area and finally resorted to conventional undercoating and painting.

The rear flooring held up very well with no lift and was rust free through out the time period.

The underside of the tub was a surprise. The POR-15 held up extremely well on the underside of the tub. The area coated was the entire underside, minus the transmission hump. There were NO rock chips in the fender well area. I took an air driven drill, attached a rotary wire brush and while pressing hard, move the brush repeatedly over one area on the underside, rear floor area. The abraiding was not able to breach the PRO-15 through to the bare metal.

2. Frame:

I coated the frame from the cowl back. Only in areas did the POR-15 seem to inhibit the rust. As you can see from the posted picture, the frame still flaked. I assume that the POR-15 metal etch and POR-15 could not penetrate enough into the oxidized layer. Were I to rate this on a 1 to 10 scale, I'd have to give POR-15 about a 3 to 4 rating. I was not pleased with its robustness on the frame.

3. The Rear Cross member:

The coating held up fairly well on the rear crossmember and the tail sections of the frame. I have no complaints at all about it's ability to protect the crossmember from futher rusting.

Conclusion:

Would I buy POR-15 again? No, unless I were coating a new, bare metal, frame. From what I have experienced, POR-15 did an excellent job protecting properly preped New bare metal in non high wear areas. In areas of oxidation, or high wear, it flaked and would not adhere or did not stop the corrosion. In my opinion, were I to obtain results uniform to those of the underside of the tub, I would not hesitate to purchase POR-15 again. But because I was not able to see uniform results with the three application areas, I will look for a different product.

Good Jeepin'

Larry

Last edited by LEVE; 03-24-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2000, 07:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Review: POR-15 after 1.5 years of use.

That looks like crap. I read something about POR and it said that you must top coat the POR with a convential paint. Something about UV rays?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2000, 07:41 AM
Keyboard Implanted

yes i heard that also.. i also heard you shouldnt use it on good metal.. that it would only adhere to rust. i have never used this product.. that was coming from the local 4x shop owner. i myself am going with herculiner for the inside of my tub.. and i have already done the frame. it was in good shape so i just prepped it and shot alot of paint on it. looks great.. but will see how it holds up.. i live on the coast near the atlantic ocean.. so we shall see.

survival is instinct, but living takes guts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2000, 10:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info. I appreciate hearing unbiased reviews based on someone's "real world" experience instead of someone's paid hype.

Shain

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2000, 10:26 AM
Enthusiast

I have had POR-15 on my frame rails for the last two winters in Ohio and have not had the flaking that the picture shows. I preped mine with metal etch, then two coats of POR-15, and a coat of Chassie Black. When hardened that stuff is tough to scratch.

The only problem I have had is on the firewall where I did not sand the old paint enough and the POR-15 has peeled, of course it could have been helped in failing when my master cylunder blew a seal and brake fluid ran down the firewall.

Karl
80 CJ-7 with a lot of YJ and a touch of CJ-5

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2000, 12:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have had nothing but good experiences with por15. I won't even think about using another metal primer after using the stuff. True proper prep is essential, and I always use metal ready. This is of course after getting the loose rust off with a wire wheel. I have experimented with doing no prep, and on an old piece of rusty steel, it has held up for the last 2 years perfectly (this piece of steel has been sitting outside on the ground for the last 2 years too, burried in the snow all winter even. The only downside to por15 is that it is expensive, and it does have to be topcoated IF exposed to UV rays. I have some on my wrangler on the underside of the floorboards, and it is not topcoated, but it has held up just fine. So for anyone interested in more info, just go to there website, I forget exactly what the address is though.
Dan

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2000, 05:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I used the POR 15 about 2 years ago and i wouldn't buy it again. It does work on the inside fenders and suck that doesn't have a high traffic are, but the inside is where it is worse. I can't say that my prep was the best, but I can't imagine spending the bucks for it. I like to use the Corroless from Eastwood. I have had good results with it. I have pretty much painted my whole jeep with it.
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2000, 06:07 PM

My POR-15 job is almost 3 years old now. I did a frame-up on my CJ-7, and sandblasted the frame, axles, and skidplates. I then used the metal ready, and then 1 coat of POR-15. I topcoated the parts of the frame with Rustoleum that might see UV rays. It's still tough as nails, with NO rust, and no adhesion problems. I didn't use it anywhere over previously rusted metal, but in my mind, nothing short of powdercoating does as good of a job as POR-15. I will definatly use it agin this summer when I start a CJ-8 rebuild.
Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode