need new body-Fiberglass or Steel? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 03:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

need new body-Fiberglass or Steel?

I need a new body for my CJ7. I don't know which to get. Rust isn't a big problem where I live so it wouldn't matter much. I was wondering which was easier to setup. The fiberglass looks lighter, but will it shake and vibrate like crazy? Any suggestions or experience would be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 03:52 PM

Re: need new body-Fiberglass or Steel?

wrangler tub swaps seem to be the best thing going. i got mine for $400, they're galvanized, and very few modifications are required to do it right. do some searches and you'll find all kinds of info. seems like the hardest part is finding a good tub. hope this helps! matt

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 04:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I decided to get a 'glass tub (AJ's) when I started finding alot of rust in the body of my '81CJ7. I thought the old body was too far gone to fix. The AJ's deluxe body is very impressive; very thick fiberglass in all of the right places and thick metal at all mounting locations. It was expensive ($2,000+), but it is very well made.

I will warn you that it is alot of work getting everything fitted back up to the jeep. Cutting the holes, aligning the hood and fenders, drilling for all the bolts, etc ends up being alot of time and effort. I have a truck as a daily driver, so I can afford to take my time and do it right. The thing that bothered me in my install, was the lack of good instructions. There are alot of writeups, and I even watched the 4wdh video many times, but unless you have someone with you who has swapped a 'glass tub, you end up standing around and scratching your head alot.

If I had it to do over, I probably would go with fiberglass again, but I would definitely check out the Willys-Overland bodies that are rustproofed and already have all of the holes and nutserts in place. They started advertising these about a month after I got my body, so I didn't have a chance to research them.

Greg J.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 04:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

For a rusted out tub on a CJ7 I would choose: 1-YJ tub, 2-JP Aluminium tub, 3-Kevlar or Fiberglass Tub, or 4-replacement steel CJ tub. If I were building a rig to keep forever(my next one will after this one, hopfully a fully new CJ8[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]) then the alum. tub it would be. No more rusting, ever. Solid too.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=green>Barbie drives Wrangler, I got a YJ</font color=green>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 06:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

...I would say use the fiberglass easy to mend after rocks easy to drill for mounting accessories. You do have to run more ground wires for obvious reasons its lighter than a steel tub and it is rigid...it doesnt vibrate like you thimk it would...but you do feel the body flex while crawling along. Drilling the primary holes in the tub for the steering and firewall stuff is much easier if you cut out your old fire wall as a template...no more rust gremlins either...and JeepnMatt..my '78 has a Wrangler tub and its not galvanized...what year is yours?!...Ive had a glass tub for 4 years now and it been great I would never buy a 'steel' tub again.

MARK (OIIIIO) LANGMOTORSPORTS
1977/CJ7/GLASSTUB/460CIFORD/C6AUTO/4"LIFT/33'S
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 12:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I like the 'glass tub I am installing but everyone is right. It is alot of measuring and head scratching (not just from the fiberglass dust either). If rust wasn't a concern (it was for me) than I would like an OEM steel body. Be carefull of the steel bodies that you see for sale. They are not all "bolt in". Some of them are as much work as a 'glass body.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, The body is on the frame now!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 01:25 AM
Way Outta Control

Yep, glass all the way! I've had and fixed both types, metal and fiberglass. It will take a team of wild Toyotas to get me to give up the 4WD hardware body. It's sturdy, and easy to work with. Only drawback I can think of is the ground problem ... but then you can take care of that easily once you've been told... and you've been told!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 07:34 AM

I also have the 4WD Hardware tub, and I love it. I have been wheeling it pretty hard and it's holding up well.
It is not at all flimsey, and it's not really that hard to work with. Like everyone else says, take your time. The trick of removing the spot welds from your old firewall doubler plate and re-using it on the fiberglass tub is a great one. As far as grounding goes, don't let it scare you; it's isn't that hard.
I also like the fact that I had no body work and very little painting to do. I like the gel coat finish of my tub, and the only things painted to match were the grill, windshield frame and dashboard.
I was concerned, however, with the ability of the FG to withstand impacts, so I put on diamond plate rear corners and also plan on putting on some kind of rocker protection.
Bob in Ma

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 08:29 AM

To each his own, but I like to bend,hammer,etc. damage back into place, not pick it up off the trail.

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 09:51 AM
jeepfreak1

I just picked up my fiberglass body a few weeks ago,
I have a CJ-8 so finding a good steel body at a reasonable price was impossible,
Looked at Collins bro. but price was high and was told quality was not as good as original,
Also looked into the aluminum bodies but they had their own problems with isolating the different metals,
I finally decided on the glass, I had put one on my CJ-5 back in 81 and it is still in good shape (4wdhwd) but this time I wanted to give AJs a try, my body was one of the first ones they produced.
When I went to look at their bodies they had not made one yet but was able to see the molds.
I ordered the deluxe body, tailgate, cab divider, and front-end all in a custom color
I was apprehensive about having it done with the color.
But all I could say when I picked it up was awesome!
It cost a little more with the color than the others, but this was with everything when I figured no painting it was less in the long run.
IMO go fiberglass.

<font color=green> JF1 </font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode