4.56 gears and 33" Tires? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 10:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

4.56 gears and 33\" Tires?

Hello all

I recently sold my trusty commando and purchased an 82 CJ-7. The guy I bought it from had just lifted it 5", put 4.56 gears in it, Detroit Locker rear, and one piece rear axles. When I got it it still had 31" tires. I have since put 33's on it. I also rotated the rear pinion, and put a heavy duty rear drive shaft with CV joint to stop the vibration. The jeep has a 6cyl eng. with a Chrysler 999 auto. It is a daily driver (mostly short distances). I find that when I am on the freeway, the RPM's are around 3000 and the engine noise is pretty bad. I am considering selling the 33's and getting 35's to have a more street friendly gear/tire combo. The other alternative is to change the ring and pinion. The front gears are still stock, (although the guy gave me all the parts still in boxes to do the front axle). I figure I could return the front gears and get a set of 4.11, or 4.27's, then tear the back apart and replace them as well. The cost of purchasing 35's versus the cost of redoing the rear diff. might not be much different. I am concerned that if I put 35's on the jeep it will put too much stress on the front axle. Not to mention I will need ladder to get in. Any Advice? Can the front axle handle the 35's? I don't do much 4-wheeling, but this summer I plan to do the rubicon and maybe participate in a couple other local trail events.

Thanks for the help

Shawn

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 10:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 4.56 gears and 33\" Tires?

35s and a Dana 30 is asking for trouble. If you are considering changing gearing, let me know, I may be interested in your 4.56s.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 12:29 PM

I have 35's with stock axles and 4.11's on my YJ, will be going to 4.56's eventually. No lockers yet though. I'm going with the 8.8" rear upgrade soon and will probably leave the d30 up front until I brake something.
I say go for the 35's!!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 01:08 PM
scram

35's are a good idea i ran 35's in my old scrambler with 4.56's ... I had the warn front hubs and axles which i would recomend to you!!! Keep jeepin SCRAM

The moment you are born you start to die so buy A Jeep and play hard!!!!!

It's All Out or Nothing At All!!!!!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 03:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not saying its the recommended pratice, but there are quite a few folks that run 35s and the stock Dana 30. If your not locked up front, jumping the front end, etc...it'll probably hold. The front locker is what really puts the stress on the D30, IMHO. I'd keep my eyes open for a cheap 77-80 narrow track D30 to scavange the disks and 6 bolt hubs to convert yours from the weak 5 bolt design.

You can pick up a set of decent(more 50% tread) used 35s around here for $250-400 depending on whether you want BFGs or Sxs. Now is a good time to get 'em while folks are moving to 37 and 38s. I'd be inclined to go for the 35s and keep the 4.56s.

Shain

77 CJ7, D44s, Detroits, 4:27s, 35 SSRs, HS9500i
84 CJ8, 33s, REP8000
70 Commando
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 04:29 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

What is supposed to give out (weak link) on the D30?? I've been running 35's on mine for quite some time without an issue. I just installed the 4:11 gears this past summer and I love the combination. I was thinking the same thing as shain, as long as I don't run a locker, or drive off the cliff I should be alright.

DREW
IN2DEEP <font color=red>78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 04:57 PM
scram

The outer shafts and u joints tend to let go!!! SCRAM

The moment you are born you start to die so buy A Jeep and play hard!!!!!

It's All Out or Nothing At All!!!!!!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 07:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've seen more u-joints and the shafts destroyed because the yokes go with the u-joints, than I can remember. Last year at our rock crawling competition in the Rock Garden EVERYONE that had a 30 broke repeatedly, and the 44s were breaking like they were made out of glass. If you are locked, and you do anything more than drive on the street, and have anything bigger than 33s you WILL break.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode