Solving the California Energy Crisis - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 08:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Solving the California Energy Crisis

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
http://www.austinjeeper.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 09:00 AM
Veteran

Re: Solving the California Energy Crisis

That is great! I've had to go to the Bay area a bunch of times lately for a job we are doing out there. Beautiful, Beautiful area, but you couldn't pay me enought to live there - too much crazy politics.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 09:17 AM
Enthusiast

That's good!
Just this week they annonced that the rates will go up 40-50%, which will put CA in the first place for energy rates in the continental US.
Go, enviromentalists, go!!!!

Denis <><
'92 YJ i6, 32x11.5x15 bfg ATs, RE 4.5" Extreme Duty lift, 2" body lift
http://dennisuello.tripod.com/
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1570804&f=0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 10:28 AM
utahjeepr

As someone who currently resides in CA and hears about this on a daily basis, the situation is unbelieveable. The state of CA really screwed this up. It is very clear that the people who drafted and passed the deregulation plan had NO GRASP of basic economics. I mean the situation is fairly simple, your average high school student could have seen this would fail.

First: CA has not allowed any new power plants to be built in the last several years, despite growing power demand.

Second: They ordered the regulated utilities to sell their power plants to the highest bidder whose operation of said facilities would be unregulated. (Even the utility companies were suprised how high the bidding went for the power plants.)

Third: They prohibited the utilities, which are now simply distributors of electricity, from signing long term contracts with power generators. The utilities are forced to buy on what is called the "Spot Market". These are deals to supply power for hours to weeks, generally "excess" power generation capability is sold this way by other utilities to help keep costs down for their consumers. Prices on the spot market fluctuate wildly, and are at this time VERY high.

Fourth: The utilities (distributors) were required to sell at a set price, despite what they were having to pay for the power. When they complained about selling at a loss and losing money they were told to "be patient" that it would all get better. Nobody took this seriously until the utilities were on the verge of financial failure. They have often been in the position of having to pay 10 times what they are allowed to sell for, but they are not allowed to stop distributing power no matter what the losses.

What moron dreamed this up! The only way to fix the problem is to increase supply by building more generating facilities, but the greenies won't let it happen. Not to mention they want to tear down the dams in the Pacific Northwest, which are the only darned reason we've got any power here in CA at all.

AND THEY STILL THINK ELECTRIC CARS ARE A GREAT IDEA!!!!!!

Grrrr, I hate stupid people...

I am a "Sheetmetal Darwinist"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 11:24 AM

When I was growing up here in the 4-Corners we had clean, pristine air to breath and could see for miles and miles without haze.
We now have two coal fired generation stations within eyshot of Farmingtion with the majority of the kilowatts going to the Californins who don't want to have to suffer even more pollution than they've already created.
The whole freakin State can crack off and slide under as far as I'm concerned ... and all the Greenie Weenies with it ...

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 11:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Jaff......as soon as the wheels of our Jeep convoy cross the Continental divide on the way to our little farm in Middle America this coming October, you can HAVE California! Give us SIX MORE MONTHS and then get out the chisel and hammer. Insert chisel into the fault line just west of Reno.....tap with hammer......listen for a "Blub".[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Heh heh heh Is CA screwed up or what?

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 12:02 PM
Way Outta Control

I'll say it again... I believe in term limitaitons as defined by:

1. Every politican should server two terms.
2. One in the office to which he/she was elected.
3. One term of equal length in prision for crimes commintted in #2 above.

Yes, I am serious and it's only logical....

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 04:57 PM
jeepfiend

Everybody is cashing in on the power dilemna. My dad farms in Idaho, and Idaho Power is paying farmers $200/acre to not farm their ground. It is more profitable for Idaho Power to sell their electricity to California, and then pay the farmers $200/acre. I am not sure what the acreage limitations are, but there are going to be a lot of acres sitting fallow so the Californicators can run their AC. I really have to laugh at the mess those idiots got themselves into. It is a fact that california will have to build more power plants, it is just a matter of when the greenies decided that hot water in their hot-tub is more important than their agenda, which will happen. They always want to change the world until it directly affects them. If it isn't convenient for them, it doesn't happen. I can't wait until they do build more power plants, because it is money in my pocket. I work at company that builds a lot of power plant components, and when the time comes, we will rake in the business (i.e. more money for Jeeps).

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 05:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] That's a hoot, JPFND......a real hoot! By the time this summer is over, California will be OUTA dough, and you KNOW what that means......yep.....TAX THE CRAP out of everything even more than it is right now. Vehicle license, state income tax, fees for EVERYTHING will triple.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] We'll be in Middle America by that time and away from all these fruits and nuts.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 07:44 PM

I'm finally starting to hear a decent set of reasons why this is happening... the liberal national media only tells us that this is the result of deregulation and its what you oughta expect when you put this much power in the hands of the private companies. They are very anticapitalistic about this. Its kinda hard for a company to provide service when its forced to do so, but its hands are tied behind its back and its legs broke. Or at least thats what I've gathered from what y'all have said(oops, gave away where I'm from).

Andy

46 cj2a beater/future rebuild project
maybe a trail jeep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode