Need info for gas tank swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 01:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need info for gas tank swap

Looking at swapping in a 91-95 4.0 or 2.5 gas tank into my 89 yj to complete my MPI conversion. I also heard that a fuel pump from one of those would fit in my current tank. Any info welcome.

Dirtybird
89 YJ 4.2, AX15, Procomp 4" Lift, MSD6a, and just gerttin started......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 10:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need info for gas tank swap

That'll work, my son and I did it to his YJ, we bought and used a 20-22 gallon plastic OEM tank. Your current tank,(if its a 15 gallon) will not accept the fuel pump, the hole in the top isn't large enough AND there is no baffle in there for a pump, plus the return line fits into a keeper in the bottom of the tank to hold everything steady. Hope this answers your questions and helps out. Later.

Bird [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 10:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks.... Back to the salvage yard...

Dirtybird
89 YJ 4.2, AX15, Procomp 4" Lift, MSD6a, and just gerttin started......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 07:37 AM
Dean

I haven't tried it yet, but I've been told that you can graft a pickup - pump holder assy. from an EFI'd GM or Ford onto the bottom of the Jeep pickup assy. in order to use an intank pump. I don't know if this will work for a YJ, but I have a Trailquest 24 gal. tank in my CJ-7 which uses the pickup assy. from a 20 gal. stock plastic tank. I compared the pump to a spare sending unit and it looks like the pump will squeeze through the hole in the tank. I've also been told that a sump isn't necessary for this arrangement, but I won't know how true any of this is until I give it a try. FWIW, Trailquest sells ready made inline pump assemblies for use with their tanks which might work with the 20 gal. stock tank. http://www.trailquest.com
If you'd rather not deal with all of that and want a good inline pump, check out http://www.musclemotors.net Muscle Motors sells mostly Mustang stuff, but they have a Walbro inline pump for $149 that's rated at 255L/hr (~67 gal/hr), that works very well. I have one fueling my 5.0L and it should work fine for the MPI set-up.

Dean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode