Meet & Greet commentary. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Meet & Greet commentary.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] After reading through the series of posts leading up to and including the culmination of the Maine et al Meet and Greet, it occurred to me that it is desperately important to focus on "The Trip" through life that you are on; right now; this very minute; and not always on the distant destination, whatever that might seem to be. You can't always wait for just the right time; or till you have the right amount of dough; or have the perfect vehicle to take. Sometimes you GOTTA GO NOW; you GOTTA DO NOW, because if you don't, you could miss one of life's best experiences.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] We have to be SO DARN CAREFUL[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] about NOT doing stuff now, and thinking that "Well, SOMEDAY it'll be the right time for this." That day could NEVER come; you could be killed by a drunk driver; or end up somehow debilitated; you just never know.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Jeeps are nice, but they ARE just glass, rubber, and steel.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] It's the RELATIONSHIPS that are formed in the pursuit of a hobby like Jeeping that bring the biggest rewards. From what I can see, Jeep "N" and the rest of the bunch that got together probably found that to be true.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 06:59 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Meet & Greet commentary.

Amen Dave.

We may not always have jeep, and we may not all have the baddest jeep on the block, but none of that mattered. Just the oppostunity to get together and swap ideas, stories, and experiences was well worth the drive. We were next to a campfire as well, and there were animals all around us (albeit stuffed).

As the topic switched from what foods are served in different parts of the country, to what tranny is a good swap, to how to cut kitchen tile, it was never lacking and the time flew by. We'd have been there until 2AM and moved to the parking lot if it hadn't been 15 degrees outside. Good talk with good people. I'd make the drive again easily.

I have had a few "scares" in my time, that have taught me to not take life so seriously and live it a little better. When I start to lose sight of this, something else always happens to remind me again.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 08:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well stated by both of you. I've copied the following from the other post, as I feel it still applies:

"I just want to thank y'all again for making the drive down. I had a great time, and it was a pleasure to meet all of you. Hopefully it will not be the last! I managed to pick up some lobster before my flight ($8.99/lb - I know, I know. I got raped), and had my new shift rod caps for my D300 waiting for me when I got home. Any idea how to put them on?

Jeepers alike, it's interesting to note that we have more in common than our mangled machines. I guess it takes a certain personality trait to play this game. Although we come from diverse fields (electronics, watercraft, environmental, real estate, etc.), we manage to share the same views on many issues, and enjoy many of the same past times and hobbies, all in addition to our Jeeps. Coincidence? I doubt it."

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/cobra, M.O.R.E. shackles, 1/2" steel bumper, 1" body lift and lots of ideas!

'96 ZJ - 4.0L/42re/np242/optima/cobra and other goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 09:26 AM

Alright guys, you're starting to bring tears to my eyes! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I'd definitely encourage other areas/groups on the board to have a meet and greet, lots of fun! We need to have a camping one next time Jeepn!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 09:59 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Camping? Already in the works.

Lobster for that price isn't that bad considering what you said you'd pay down there. Let me know in the summer and I'll hook you up with some of the cheap ones.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 02:06 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Oooooooohhhh man, Dave, you sure said a mouthful there! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I know you know all about this, Dave, but...

Last summer when my buddy Steve and I took our Jeep trip around the country, we simply stepped off the face of the earth to go and see the country. Planned the trip over the winter of 99/2000, quit our Engineering jobs in May of 2000, and set out with a tent and sleeping bags for 4 1/2 months and 19,000 miles in a 94 YJ. What a great thing to do, especially at the age of 33, when one can appreciate all of the aspects of how different people live the life they've been given. Yeah, I could have stayed home, and worked, and done more to my Jeep, but I will never, ever, regret that trip, or the loss of money and time that it meant.

Now, having been back at work since last November, I continue to see people who think that this part of your life (work) actually means something. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] It really doesn't.

Life is short, folks. Get out and see the world, and meet the people who make it go 'round. It's an amazing, wonderful thing.

Pete

(Dave - did you ever get our postcards, by the way? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] - Pete)

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Yes, we also appreciated the e-mails and the trip highlights that were in them. Condolences on the tool theft by the godless scum in san francisco[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. When I was in hi skool there was a show on TV called "Route 66" about two guys who tooled all over the country in a Vette. Upon graduation, two of my friends did that in a '58 Vette, and they did the whole tour....picking apples in Washington, and catching lob-busters in Maine. There are a few little towns that they can never go back to.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Some of the things that I remembe the best are the "Expeditions" that we went on, taking race cars to distant tracks, or moving equipment long distances. I remember those more than some "regular" vacations. We nursed a GM 3/4T 350 V8 home with a spun rod bearing 650 miles towing the trailer with the race car on it, crossing two mountain passes, by using a "Grapes of Wrath" trick of installing unequal sized bearing inserts in the rod box.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 03:31 PM
scram

I am 23 years old and have had some fun and did some stupid things. One thing is for sure even though i most likly never c canis and v8 jeep again i will remember that day for ever. It was one of the first times i said f it and just went like you said. I had way to much wrk to do and still do but i said f it and am glad . I would love more great meetings like this in the future. Your rite the jeeps are just glass and rubber but friendships last forever. ITS A JEEP THING i guess. So please all meet whenever possible and make the best of this short life!! SCRAM

The moment you are born you start to die so buy A Jeep and play hard!!!!!

It's All Out or Nothing At All!!!!!!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 05:35 PM
Enthusiast

No doubt about CJDave, as one of my graduate students from London would say "spot on". Some of the best conversations have been the fellowship of jeepers from all bacgrounds and walks' of life. If only the walls of my garage could talk, I could write books. We don't appreciate each other enough as is. Our vitual jeep community is pretty special too. --DuaneD WLAF, IN

85 CJ8 Undergoing Frame-up Modifications w/258/T176/Dana300-Looking 4 a 95 4.0L Motor, SS gas tank, & chrome spoke wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode