Any 5.0 HO experts here? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Any 5.0 HO experts here?

I was hunting the junk yard and found a 5.0L HO engine in an old Lincoln Mark VII for $500. It has 89k miles and is complete. I plan on using it along with Ford SVO wire harness. Questions: Can i just put a flywheel on instead of the flexplate? Is the pilot bearing hole there or will it need to be drilled? what's the best bellhousing/clutch setup to use for my WC-T-5? Anything else I need to consider?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 11:08 PM

Re: Any 5.0 HO experts here?

make sure you get a flywheel for that specific year there were some changes also a mustang 5.0 bell will work fine for your wct5 the pilot bushing hole is there the fords use that to center the torque converter good luck it is a good coversion

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 09:47 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: 5.0 HO

Why not just use the original harness? With a little TLC, it can be rearranged to fit whatever. That's how I dropped an '88 F-150 5.0L into a '75 Bronco, and it turned out great.

(If that link doesn't take you straight to the photo album, ignore the password prompt and put "steve" in the "Email/Nickname" field in the lower left and select "75 Bronco Redesign".)

Steve 83 Bronco 4.9L
<font color=red>Build it; Don't buy it...</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 05:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 5.0 HO

Hey Ive owned 4 5.0L Mustangs and have sold them but now drive a 1985 Licoln Mark VII 5.0L...I need to know what your your motor is if it is pre-1986 then you need the smaller weight style flywheel/flexplate which will work to the late 60's...if it is newer than 1986 then it is a 'roller' motor style and will need the 40oz weight flywheel/flexplate. Certain motor years are better than others but overall your fine, and not building for top end power but low end torque. Let me know the year though...Already those motors have the 225 HP output...and the SVO wiring harnesses where only made from 83/84 to 86 in which is pre-mass air flow technology so its best to use the Ford Motorsport conversion harness to mass airflow then the SVO...Get it out of a 1989 and newer Mustang it will be cheaper at a junkyard than Ford obviously. The fuel metering is so much better and there are more possibilities of tuning the motor also. And definatly keep it fuel injected...keep the stock stainless manifolds to they will add more torque too and are correct for the swap...

MARK (OIIIIO) LANGMOTORSPORTS
1977/CJ7/GLASSTUB/460CIFORD/C6AUTO/4"LIFT/33'S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode