The mighty 258...rotflmao - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 09:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The mighty 258...rotflmao

What is it with these things?

Why do they puff so much bad air out the top ? Do they wear-out that fast ? Or are they bad from the start ?

I've had more than a few worn-out motors, but never had slobber problem like some of these post suggest.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 09:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: The mighty 258...rotflmao

The 258 is one of the best engines ever designed. It is a feat of engineering that has proven itself to this day, even though it was designed by Kaiser a long dang time ago. The engine itself is not perfect, just like any engine, but it is outstanding. The problems are associated with the sub-par periferals: the Carter Carb, the assly Plastic valve cover that doesn't have bolts (what?), and that friggin' rear main seal. Any engine needs a certain amount of TLC, but the 258 needs a bit more. I think it is worth at least that to say that you actually own a real-man's engine.

Ed

'99 Chevy Silverado K2500
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 09:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 7 main bearing design makes the bottom end virtually indestructible. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 09:54 PM

I had a 258 in my old AMC Concord wagon (the 2wd version of the 4wd Eagle) it ran great and got great mileage. The only trouble was that dreaded plastic valve cover but a tube of RTV blue and patience cured that. I wish my 86 XJ Cherokee came with one.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 10:05 PM

I use to have a 86 cherokee a few months ago.Man that 2.8 wasn't too impressive..she was pretty slow

1976 CJ5
SWB BBS Member Page!(exclamation)
http://www.shortwheelbase.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 10:08 PM

Yeah, but I love it nonetheless.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Trouble is, one would have to trim the firewall on a first generation XJ to fit a 4.0 or a 258 in there...not a good idea with a unibody.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 10:56 PM
Addict

I had better than 200,000 miles on my 258 and it ran great. I just swapped the 4.0 for the fuel injection.

I have a friend that while climbing a hill with loose dirt, got to bouncing. And his motor mount was broken. Well, it poked a hole in the filter, and drained all the oil out, while he was still climbing the hill. Well, he seized that puppy up. I towed him back to town, and he kept letting the clutch out trying to break it loose, but with no luck.

The next morning, he put a new filter on, and filled it up with oil. He managed to break it loose with a wrench on the dampener. So he tried to fire it up. Well it did. It made a lot of noise at first, but quieted down after a minute.

Well, he decided to drive it home. We were in Bishop, and he lives in Modesto. So I followed him all the way through Yosemite, expecting it to break down. But no problem.

He then drove it another 5 years. Yes, 5 years, before a rod started knocking.

You gotta love a straight six.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJ-8, 4.0, NP435, D44 x D60, ARB's, 4w Disc, 2"YJ springs, SOA, 1" Body lift, 38.5" TSL SX

CJ-6, Cherokee
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 12:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That is amazing. Yea, a man's engine.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=green>Barbie drives Wrangler, I got a YJ</font color=green>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 01:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Engine blow-by was a lot more common in the "old" days, especially when the engines did not use a closed crankcase.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] The 258s never seem to have sufficient PCV action to keep the crankcase under negative pressure.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] As you most likely know, there is a wide variety of different PCV valve arrangements and metered inlet sizes to match engine displacement.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] We are running the AMC V8, but if we had a 258 I think I might be inclined to do some intense experimentation with PCV valve arrangements to see if I could clean the engine up a bit. ANY engine will slobber if the pressure has no place to go.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I recently tested a 2000 HP Caterpillar V-16 which promptly coughed up five gallons of 30W out of every orifice on the engine. The cause was a collapsed crankcase vent hose. From the looks of it, you would have thought the engine had blown something internal....something MAJOR.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 01:04 PM
Enthusiast

If you check those engines with high blowby, you will find the paper gasket between the filter housing and the carb is shot. They will, like any engine, die quickly when asked to breathe dirty air. I havent tried it on an old engine yet,did on my J10 258,but you might try venting the rear breather tube directly into the air cleaner. That has worked for me on other engines. I used one of the aspirator tube fittings on the air cleaner to let the blowby enter into the air cleaner between thr filter and carb. that eliminates the underachiever of a filter that clips to the outside air cleaner housing. Keeps thr raw oil out of the air cleaner housing too. Also have been known to braze a peice of conduit to the air cleaner cover to route the blowby right over the top of the choke housing. It will give clean air to the engine and great volume, if you need it, to vent blowby.

Jackie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode