Engine swap ? again - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Engine swap ? again

I'm gonna start looking now for an engine to swap into my 78 CJ. Drivetrain now is stock-258 I-6, t-18a(6.32 1st), Dana 20 xcase. My engine burns oil, leaks oil etc, but I'm gonna run it all summer and then swap an engine in next winter when it's down. Obvious choice is an AMC v8, probably a 360 or 401. How hard is it to do the oil passage mod I've read that the AMC's need? Next choice would be a Ford 302-351 swap since it has a T-18? Do the ford and Jeep T-18 share a common bolt pattern that I can just swap bellhousings onto? Last choice is the old standby Chevy 350 swap. This will need some sort of adaptor to the tranny right? Is this adaptor a high dollar item? Most likely I'll just swap in a 360. In this case I need the matching flywheel right? Would my best bet to just find a FSJ with manual tranny and just buy the whole thing for a swap? This way I'll get all the accessories etc that I need. Is there any way to externally tell if it is a 304-360-401, so that I don't buy the wrong one. I like the idea of a Ford swap just cuz they are cheaper to rebuild and buy performance parts for. But if I need an expensive adaptor that will also be out of the question too. The only real issues I have with an AMC swap is the oiling problem and that they are more expensive to rebuild. I'm in no hurry since I'm not gonna do it until next winter, and don't mind adding oil to my 258. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 06:42 PM

Re: Engine swap ? again

the fsj 360 with flywheel is the BEST swap, youll only need radiator ( maybe not), engine mounts, fule line rerout.

the Ford T18 and tjhe Jeep T18 are slightly differnt, I know you can bolt the Ford T18 to a Jeep bellhousing, but Im unsure if you could bolt a Jeep T18 to a Ford bellhousing.

AMC all the way baby!

OzarkJeep

"If thats the way that you want it, well thats the way I want it more..."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

One last follow up question. If I buy a FSJ, what is the year with the narrowest axles with a passenger side drop front diff? You never know I may want to swap in a 44 up front and the matching rear at the same time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 06:54 PM

75-79 wagoneer, should be disk brake dana 44, earlier ones had flattopped knuckles

Not a cherokee ( unless its a narrow track these arent common) Not a Jtruck

a wagoneer

OzarkJeep

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 07:31 PM

i'd stick with an AMC v-8, just because you have the T-18, i'd try to get the flywheel with the motor, some had odd ball's and vibration problems,
you can id amc v-8 cubic inches under the passenger (maybe drivers?) side engine mount, it just say 290, 304, 360, 401 etc.....

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 07:55 PM

I would go with the Ford for the EFI factor alone. You could always change to a NP 435 tranny and an Early Bronco D20 for a few hundred bucks. Then sell your other stuff for about the same.

Jeff
89 YJ
"I hope someone got a picture of that"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 08:00 PM

all that fabricating time, would easily buy a Howell TBI kit for the AMC, and then youd be EFI AMC, and It doesnt get any better than that.

OzarkJeep

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode