YJ lift kits - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 12:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

YJ lift kits

I think I am going to lift my Wrangler and am wondering what kits are good. I am looking at 3"-4" lift, and possibly 31-33" tires. Anyway, almost everyone makes a kit for a YJ and I don't know what ones are good. I would like a stock as possible ride, and reasonable handling, etc. I will be keeping the stock front axle and upgrading the rear. I want to keep all the stock trac bars, sway bars, etc, and I have a rear swaybar to add. The Jeep will see highway miles as well as off road time. I am willing to do a shackle reversal at the same time as the lift if it will help out the ride quality.
Also, I don't want to spend the money for nationals, or OME, as nice as it would be. I want a lift kit in the $500 range.
Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 12:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: YJ lift kits

If you won't be doing any offroading then just get a body lift. You will keep your stock ride then, but will be limited to 31" tires(don't do over a 2" body lift). If you do any offroading, or plan to, and want a good ride then you will have to rethink only wanting to spend that amount of money. OME will give you the best of both worlds and with it you could do a body lift(1-2") and run 33" tires. A cheap lift will most of the time result in a stiff ride, or one that sags quickly.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=yellow>Barbie</font color=yellow> <font color=green>drives</font color=green> <font color=yellow>Wrangler</font color=yellow>, <font color=green>I got a YJ</font color=green>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 12:29 PM
Veteran

I had to be the one to bring you the bad news. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I hate that. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Anyway. First, you should refraze your question as: "I want to keep a close to stock ride and would like to run some trails rated [insert difficulty rating here] that are [pick some: scenic rides, sandy beach, light muddy trails, bogs, swamps, loose granite, rocks, BIG rocks, ravines, Mount Everest, etc, etc.. get the picture]. I have a total of $ (insert number here in thousands of dollars [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]) to waste." This way you might hope to reduce the responses to a couple of dozen different opinions.

Now the skinny. If you intend to keep the sway and track bars (and add more?!?) why the lift? You will not articulate, period. You'll be good for drag racing or straight mud runs. Now if you're talking about disconnects and telescoping track bars (forget the real one, please!) you're talking $300 more (unless fabbed). For a 3-4" lift you'll need an SYE/CV setup, add $600. I could go on but it's pointless until we know more of what you intend to do with the jeep. Hope this helps.

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 12:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry if I wasn't more clear...hopefully this will help
I intend to drive the jeep off road, not rock crawling or anything, but sand mud, trails, nothing too extreme, maybe some deep snow. I would get disconnects for sway bars but leave the track bars connected. I am not going for extreme flex or anything, but don't want it to beat me up off road and on. I know I would need a slip yoke eliminator, I was talking around $500 for the lift kit itself. Basically I was just wondering what everyone had and what they like. Basically just trying to narrow down the number of choices when it comes to lift kits. I was looking at skyjacker, trailmaster, and superlift. Anyone have any recommendations about these brands?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 12:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I can tell you what I have done, as I started out with the same requirements. I used a Superlift 4" (3.5). Thi skit addressed more areas than any of the others at the time I installed it. I loved the ride, and use the Jeep on highway trips all of the time. I have used 32 and 33" tires with good results.The lift is now 5 years old, with no problems at all. I also installed a Daystar 1 Body lift.

If you want to add quick Disconnects later you can for minimal money.

HTH

92 YJ/4.OL I6/ 4"Superlift/1" Daystar Poly Body Lift/ 32X11.5 BFG's/8K lb Superwinch/Yada, Yada, Yada,

Go Hard or go home
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 05:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I got my 3.5" Superlift from National tire and wheel for 491.00 to the door. I also bought 1.25" greasablr Daystar shackles, and extended brakelines, everything cost less than 700.00 if you dont want the brakelines or shackles you can get it for around 500.00 to your door.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 06:06 PM
Frank360

Here is another opportunity for me to learn vocabulary.. What's a "track bar, and sway bar" ?

A Jeep is a Jeep..
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 06:10 PM
Frank360

Found Sway bar:

http://www.se-r.net/suspension/sway_bars.html

The anti-swaybar (or stabilizer) is a device that links both ends of your front axle together. The bar is attached to the frame, and simultaneously rotates up and down with the axles. In turn, the ends of the axles are restricted from independently wandering too far away from the swaybar. This helps keep the cab from tilting adversely at road speeds in corners – hence the name. The problem is that this "restriction" of the axle movement also limits the ability of the wheel to "reach" down to the ground at times and provide any useful traction.

A Jeep is a Jeep..
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 06:12 PM
Frank360

Found the track bar:

Track bars are necessary to keep the springs and axle from shifting from side to side. This helps stabilize the vehicle which in turn is one of the reasons why the (YJ) Wranglers handled so much better on the street than the older CJ's did. This same track bar also limited axle articulation in off-road usage. R.T.I. numbers indicate an increase of 31% when the track bar is disconnected.

One of the major design flaws in any (YJ) Wrangler lift kit is the riser brackets the spring manufacture's provide with each lift kit. The track bar and the drag link must be parallel with each other or bump steer will occur.

The real and proper solution would be to provide a longer track bar with all lift kits sold. Since no lift manufacturer's will address the problem properly, we did! We are proud to introduce the ultimate "Telescoping Track Bar". Our track bar will out flex any OE style bar due to the fact we use Teflon lined heim joints on both ends. Not only will it flex, this track bar will telescope within itself while off road. This telescoping track bar has proven itself time after time on the R.T.I. to provide an additional 31% wheel articulation compared to a solid track bar. To reconnect the track bar is simple, there is no re-aligning involved, just tighten the nut when you hit the highway and your Jeep® will drive and feel as it did when it was new.

Cool, seems when I ask for help, I find the answers quickly than if I didn't ask.. sorry for being such a pain in the @ss..

A Jeep is a Jeep..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode