What is it worth? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

What is it worth?

A guy down the road is selling a beat up jeep, looks like a cj5. it is brown, helps hide the rust, rusty, there is no top, looks like a homemade roll bar, crappy tires, has a gas can on the front bumper (don't know why). this is all i've seen by driving by it, looks totally stock. from this info, asuming it runs, would $1000 be a fair price????
thanks

Craig

'89 S-10 P/U 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts (For Sale!)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
'99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Totally Stock [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

'88 Kawasaki Mojave (FOR SALE)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 11:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What is it worth?

Find out what year its is and what running gear it has (I6, V6 or V8, what tranny, and so on) $1000 for a beater is kinda steep, I'd try to talk him down. Think about how much it would cost to make it trail ready.

Oh well just my dos centavos

John
Damn the Mud!! Full speed ahead!!!
http://www.Marylandmudbugs.com

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 11:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Depends on how much rust on the body, and most importantly how the condition of the frame is. If the body is rusted though and the frame is in bad shape(in back near the gas tank, near spring hangers, etc.), then $500 may be too much. Especially if it doesn't run. You need to do some more looking at it before deciding on a price. Also a running CJ5 that has a good from, surface rust on the body(no holes, like that is possible[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]), and a solid frame will easily bring 2k(most likely more).

The rollbar worries me, if it looks homemade then it probably won't do its job. Could it be an old military Jeep? Some have CJ looking front ends.

I would ditcht the front bumper gas tank. A front end collision would be bad, real bad.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=yellow>Barbie</font color=yellow> <font color=green>drives</font color=green> <font color=yellow>Wrangler</font color=yellow>, <font color=green>I got a YJ</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 12:01 PM

yep, $1k sounds a little high unless it does indeed run. Check out the rust real close, bring a magnet if you want to check for bondo. offer him $700 or so?
big ed

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 09:48 PM

I picked up a 79 CJ5 with a 4 way plow and hard top for $350.It runs great but is very rusty.A friend of mine picked up a 79 CJ7 complete with hard top and doors,4 way fisher plow,with a T18 transmission for $400.The body was completly rotted but the windshield frame,doors,tailgate,hood and top are mint.So make your first offer a low one.

F.T.D
77 CJ7,79 CJ5 Plow Jeep.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 10:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It all depends on the rust condition, engine tranny, diff that are in it. I would say it is worth checking out. CJ's are getting spendy if they run and look good.

Rich

76 CJ5 304 "its a JEEP thing, I hope you understand"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 01:48 PM
Addict

Hey NavyJP, isn't it

"Damn the mud!! FOOL speed ahead!!"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Jeff

Why drive a luxo-box SUV when you can lay in the dirt busting your knuckles under old iron? '77 CJ-5, '64 S2A Land Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode