help! ignition woes-Leve/others - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

help! ignition woes-Leve/others

Hey All,

I am trying to get the I6 running again after putting a new tub on this winter. Anyway, I have everything back in place (mostly), and am having trouble getting the ol' girl started. I think I have it narrowed down, but I will explain everything I have going on for sake of clarity.

Here is what happens: The ignition switch isn't working, so I have tried to hotwire the jeep by jumping across the starter solenoid. When I do this the jeep will turn over and actually starts as long as I maintain contact across the solenoid. I can only do this for a few seconds since the starter is also running, but as soon as I remove the wire, the engine quits. This may be enough info for you guys to figure out what is obviously wrong, but I will detail all my hookups so we can narrow the problem down.

I replaced the carter bbd with a Holley 4160-8007 390 CFM. I have all vacuum hooked up and electric choke also. It is pumping gas and choke seems to be working fine. That being said, I have gotten rid of all the closed loop stuff since this carb doesn't use it. Based on above symptoms I am sure it is not a carb problem.

To go along with the carb, I did a nutter bypass. There are 6 wires coming out of the ig module. 4 come out together and the orange, purple and black are hooked directly to the same color wiring coming out of the distributor. The fourth, green wire, is hooked to the coil. Ok, here is where I may have hookup problems. The coil has 3 wires coming out of it: 2 red wires(one with black track) coming from one side of the top and a GREYISH/WHITE wire from the other side. All literature I can find shows that this should be dark green. I hooked the green wire from the module to this greyish wire coming out of the coil. also, this wire has some kind of quick disconnect. Is this right??

Second question: The two wires coming out of the other side of the coil (red and red/tr). In my chiltons, it says the red/tr should be the wire going to the solenoid. However, in my setup (untouched by me, like this before I started) the red goes to the solenoid and the alternator, etc. The red/tr ends in rubber hookup of some sort, that is currently unconnected. Is this correct?

Other hookups: From the ig module: other two wires coming from there own clip, the red one is hooked to the starter solenoid at the red wire (the I post?). The other wire, which is discolored, I have hooked up the other post on the solenoid (s?- it is the blue wire post).

The ig module has a ground going directly to the battery and the black wire going from dist to ig module is also grounded to battery.

Alright, that is all I can think of. When I have hotwired the jeep, I have taken two wires from the s and i post on the solenoid and shorted them to the battery positive. So what the heck is up? is it obvious ta anybody? I have to get out there with a multimeter obviously, but I am hoping for a simple fix or obvious mistake somewhere.

anyway, sorry for being so long, but I hope it helps

thanks a lot!!!!!
jay

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 07:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: help! ignition woes-Leve/others

You're missing the coil feeder wire, whats happening is the solenoid bypass is feeding the coil w/ 12v while U are cranking, but when you stop cranking, there is no juice going to the coil. If you just want to hear it run, you can run a second jumper wire to the coil for a few minutes, before the coil overheats and blows. Track-down the wires from the coil, 1 should go to the ign sw. thats the feeder for the coil, should be 9v when the key is on, but not cranking.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 08:42 AM
Way Outta Control

CJay, Dirtrod's correct... you've got a wiring error. Remember when you remove and attempt to dulicate the ignition switch you got a whole lot of wiring going on. The most important thing is that you have to remove the voltage from the starting relay while you are applying voltage to the coil from that pesky resistor wire. Let me think on this for a day or so... I'm on pretty heavy medicaiton now for some dental problems (the wife told me to get my head examined... and I finally did. The results were not good!) and I'm surprised if I can come up with a coherent sentence. Duplication of the igniton swtich can be done by switching relays in and out at the same time. The relays just have to be multiiple contact or use multiple relays.

Your problem is NOT a carb problem.

I'd comment on your wiring and the diagrams... but at this point for a couple of days.... I just ain't competnet to say anything and have it held against me. Man I hate drugs.. but I'm a wuss and hate pain even worse!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

I will put together a wiring diagram tonight to further help synthesis of the info.

thanks
Jay

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Would this be the red wire coming out of the coil which then connects into a thicker red wire that goes to the alternator and back to the wiring harness and I assume the ign switch. does this mean then that I have to figure out what is wrong with the ignition switch before I can get the engine to run?

thanks
jay

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 03:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That should be the wire, ck the voltage at that wire

All you really need to do is find the small wire on the solenoid that cranks the starter...That goes to the start button.
The other small wire goes to the coil...thats the coil feed when cranking.
Then you need main hot wire to your ign. switch.
From the other side of the ign. switch you feed the starter button and the coil (and other Ign. only accessories). The feeder to the coil needs to have a resistor in it to reduce the voltage to 9v.
If you just want to cobble it for now...Take a jumper from your headlights feed to the coil, turn on the lights, jump the soleonid and it should be ok. (the lights will reduce the voltage) ...if I'm wrong, the coil will get hot.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2001, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Dirtrod and Leve,

thanks for the help. I got it running today. ended up tracing the wiring back to the ignition, and checking it with a multimeter. seems I had some bad connections..maybe 16 years of gunk.

thanks again
jay

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode