World Class T4 Trans - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 12:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

World Class T4 Trans

Ran a search on the board for anything on the world class t4 trans from AA and there wasn't much there. Does anyone have experience with this trany? Is it that much better than a stock t4?

Wanting to do a swap in the next 6 months and looking at the best options out there for the $$$. I've read a ton of stuff from the tech pages and sounds like any other swap would be way to time consuming, which is a concern, as the CJ is main means of transportation.

Thanks for any responses.

Bent

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 07:12 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: World Class T4 Trans

I don't have any experience with the WC T4, but from what I've heard, it is much stronger than the stock T4 - no comparison. I think that they will handle a V-8 no problem, the stock T4 would break just thinking about it.

80 CJ7 258 T176
36X12.5 Swampers
Fiberglass body
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 07:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

About 1 1/2 years ago the T5 in my 85 CJ7 crapped out. I was in a similar situation as the CJ was my daily driver and spending a lot of time and money on a conversion was not an option. I bought the WC T5 (it's a T4 with overdrive added) from No Excuses Inc. in New Jersey. They sell the AA transmission cheaper than AA or 4wd Hardware, I would suggest giving them a call to find out their price. As a matter of fact the transmission was shipped directly from AA to me and even with the additional $100 shipping cost from CA to VA, the price was lower than the price quoted directly from AA.

OK, now to answer your question. The AA WC T4 and T5 is an exact replacement for the stock T4 and T5, except for one thing. The WC T5 input shaft was 1/16 of an inch smaller than the stock tranny. This meant that the clutch disk had to be changed as well. I was able to do the replacement in one day with the help of a rented transmission jack and a brother-in-law. When putting the new tranny in, I found it easier to install the tranny and transfer case seperately instead of together. They are pretty darn heavy and difficult to manuveur when bolted together.

I am very pleased with the transmission. I have had no problems with it at all. According to everything I have read, this transmission was used in V8 Mustangs and is designed for high horsepower engines and holds up well on vehicles with oversized tires.

I got a bit wordy here, but I think I made the right decision in the circumstances.

Buy the way, I was able to buy the WC T5 for $1400 including the $100 shipping. I had checked out as many places in my area as I could find for a used and rebuilt T5, the best price I got for a rebuilt stock T5 was $1400. So the decision was really a no brainer!

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 08:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

One addition to my previous post. If I remember correctly, when I bought the WC T5, the price was $1300. That included and additional $250 for 5th gear, so the T4 was $1050. Remember these are brand new Borg Warner transmissions, not rebuilt. Also, I really do recommend checking out No Excuses. I don't have their number handy but they advertise in most 4wd magazines and Jack, the guy I dealt with, was extremely helpful. He went through everything with me on the phone. He new about the difference in input shaft diameters and even had the proper size Center Force clutch plate in stock (since I have a CF clutch in the CJ).

I have bought several other items from them, like one piece axles, windshield frame, etc. and I've been very pleased with their prices and service.

Good luck.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 10:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info Deadeye. I need to replace the clutch anyhow and wanted to go with a CF, so will probably do both the trany and the clutch at the same time. I'll get ahold of No Excuses when I'm ready and just get both. One question for you though. Does the T5/OD make that much of a difference to warrant the extra $$$?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 10:50 AM

Just another thought, you might want to consider swapping in a t-18 and dana 20 T-case, they are about the strongest combo avilable and the t-18 either has a 4.xx or 6.xx depeding on the application Low gear. This tranny is very stong and if you look at most of the people on this board running built AMC v-8's have a t-18 not a wc t4 or 5. They have the streangth to handle the power and would probably be less than the wc t5 swap if you found the tranny and tcase for the right price and then re-built them your self.
Barrelroll

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 10:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That depends on a lot of factors. I opted for it because the original tranny was a T5 and I do a lot of highway driving. The other things to consider are the gear ratio and the size of the tires you are running. When I first bought my CJ it had 33x12.50's on it and I never got into 5th gear. I dropped the tire size to 31x10.50 and I use 5th gear on the highway.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 05:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you want the over drive I would get the WC T5. But if you are going to get the T4 IMHO the cheaper thing to do would be a ford T-18 and the T-18 to Dana 300 adaptor. You should be able to get a rebuilt T-18 for about $700 and AA makes the adaptor you need for about $400. this would give you a real grany low trany. With out changing driveline lenghts.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 08:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've thought about the T18 ford swap, but here's my situation. The trany that's in the CJ now is an SR4. Go figure, all the lit says it should be a T4, but the case markings put it at an SR4. I read all the stuff I can get my hands on about the Ford T18 trans swap and what I read was I will need a new bellhousing along with the adapter for the Dana300. When I do the math, it comes out to be quit a bit more. As much as I would like to do that swap, cost wise, the pockets aren't that deep and the CJ is the only means of transpo for the wife and I. That leads to the next problem. When I scrape together the dough for this, it needs to be a weekend project.

The alternative, is wait about a year, hope the stock trany hangs together that long (doubt it)and I get another driver for the wife and I. At that point, I can probably do the T18 swap because I won't need to depend on the CJ for daily use.

As for the T5 OD option, I would probably opt for that because for now, the rig makes frequent drives back home to Colorado.

Thanks for the info guys, it is truly appreciated.

Bent

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 01:24 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

What is your R&P ratio? You may not be able to use overdrive. The WC trannys shift like cars. The T-18 shifts like a truck. So far I really like my WC T-4. I thought the input shaft was 1/16 inch larger on the WC.

I'm on here so much, I have carpal tunnel reader syndrone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode