Build it or buy it? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
BMB
Veteran

Build it or buy it?

What do you guys prefer, buying parts like shackles, bumpers, nerf bars, racks, etc. or making your own. I know not everyone has the equipment or ability to make their own, but I try to do what I can myself. Sometimes it may not look quite as pretty as a pro made part, but it is usually as strong or stronger and more functional.
BMB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 11:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Build it or buy it?

I have noticed somone on here said "Jeeps are built not bought" guess that goes for all the add ons too.I built my bumpers,nerfs, and shackles haven't got to the racks yet.Look at this way if they arent perfect just make sure theres enough mud on it to hide it.

Edder

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 11:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I build my own parts, but sometimes I wonder if the time outlay is worth it. I have more time then money, so it makes sense, but there have been times that I could have been wheeling, instead of working on improving my Jeep.

Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 02:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] My accountant moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] just came through the office on his way to the frige for another beer, and here is what he has to say: "In order to spend $100 on an upgrade, you have to actually earn $120 to $125 bucks. By the time you add freight on top of the item, that's another hunk that does you absolutely no good at all.....it isn't iron, it's freight.......an expense with no real return."[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Accountant moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] says that making your own stuff is (usually) a very cost-effective way to go, especially when you often buy something and it has to be slightly modified (or MORE than slightly modified) to fit your application anyway.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] May as well make it from scratch, time, equipment, and talent providing. Besides, if you don't make it, how will you develop the skills needed to make it through the "end times" when it's every man for himself.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 06:41 AM
Way Outta Control

Two scnearios, What do ya get?:

1. Buy it:
a. The chance to BUY catalogs
b. The chance to talk to people who will sell you anything you want.
c. You can sharpen you negotation skills by paying them exactly what they want.
d. When you get the product you can usually be disapointed. Buyers remorse.
e. You can often learn to talk to freight agents about why the forklift tines are poked into, around and through the package.
f. If it comes intact you can learn to celebrate your good frortune.
g. You can learn what TO and what NOT to buy from Steel Horse.
h. You can learn the value of a dollar.
i. When it breaks you can also look for the receipt an learn what the warranty is really worth.
j. You can learn the meaning of depression.
k. Your spouse can really learn to hate that Jeep.
l. You can learn the maaning of "transference of Feelings" your spouse has about the Jeep.

2. Building the item yourself:

a. You get to buy NEAT tools.
b. You get to learn to use those NEAT tools.
c. You learn to be creative.
d. You get to design stuff!
e. You get to make mistakes.
f. You get to make ANYTHING you want.
g. You get to have lots of spare parts/material laying around.
h. You learn not to throw away ANYTHING.
i. You learn to fabricate stuff from "Junk."
j. You learn to fix and build anything.
i. Your better half will learn you ain't too good looking but your "handy", as Red Green says... and there's some value to it.
k. You learn the value of the dollar.
l. You learn the dollars saved can be used better somewhere else.
m. You learn the better half will dictate the better use.
n. You learn that you CAN MAKE Jeep parts, build a Jeep and STILL be married, have kids, and Feed the family too!
o. You won't suffer from throwing away tons of cardboard from Jeep packages.
p. You won't suffer from the saying: "I wonder what kind of idiot designed this piece of (fill in the rest yourself!)."
q. You'll never feel "taken" by the manufacture.
r. You're real close to have any "warranty" issues taken care of... an as fast as you can fit it into the manufactures schedule!
s. You can have it the part in ANY color YOU would like.
t. You don't pay for a lot of shipping charges.
u. You can learn the PANTONE system of coloration for making all the parts the same shade of color.
v. You can define the quality of the part.
w. You can have a discussion at ANY time with the design engineer.
x. You can consult other design engineers for better ideas.
y. You can modify the part at will... the MarkII design, so to speak, if your name is Mark.
z. You got Bragging rights! This Jeep ain't no poser!

Ok.. I admit it, I was really just trying to get through the alphabet.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 08:11 AM
Veteran

Depends on what your vocation outside of Jeepin' is, mine & my husbands involves our family business & requires a lot of time & travelling, so our time is restricted - but the job pays well. So.. we have bought a lot hard parts, like shackles, or we try to trade with good friends, or get good friends to fabricate things for us. We have made some things that are not that difficult - (i.e. my husbands "angle" rear bumper with reciever hitch). That leaves us just enough time to be able do installation & repair work ourselves. Although I'm really angling to get my husband to get a tube bender. (any suggestions? - what do you think of this one http://209.238.153.119/hydbender.html - seems decent for things other than the main hoops - which I would think would have to be 2")

-Mel

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 08:13 AM
Veteran

Well, IMHO the saying "jeeps not bought but built" might be true but to be able to build all that stuff you have to buy a lot of tools (unless your wife is a mechanic)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. I was not lucky to inherit any tools or shop equipment so I had to shell out the dough. Some I bought at yard sales or in pawn shops, others were new (not for long). I don't regret buying any of it though, tools will outlive you. I borrowed a 110v wire feed welder and tought myself to weld so I can put together a bumper/tire carrier. Having a welder and knowing how to use it is the best thing since home baked bread [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] if you own a jeep. Now that the bumper/carrier is almost ready (pics soon!} I can stand there in awe and say: "Crap, it's ugly but it didn't fall apart!" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] (Well, not quiet, but that's another story... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Don't ever make your structurally important welds your first welds! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]) Anyway, you have to know how far you want to get into it. How many mods you're gonna do? Where are you gonna wheel? How long are you gonna do this thing? I'm having fun creating weather it's a computer program, an amplifier, a piece of furniture, a bumper, a traditional bow, a flint knapped arrow head or a baby. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] It doesn't matter. That's the fun in living as a Homo Sapient. And I agree with the "ugly but handy" part as far as womenfolk is concerned ... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 08:31 AM
ArkyCrawler

Geee's, where can you find a wife who wants you to get
a tube bender!!! I'm telling ya, they don't come that way
here in Arkansas.

Steve

83 CJ-7/chevy 350/44-20 with lockers/4"lift/33x12.5 swampers on hellcats/9500 ramsey. I'm in LOVE!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 09:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I hear you, I know what my wife would bend in that tube bender if I bought it!!!

Everyday travel is off-roading in this town....
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 09:22 AM
Way Outta Control

"bend in that tube bender if I bought it!"

That's the funniest thing I heard all week.........

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] ...it hurts when I laugh, but hey, it's good to laugh!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode