Rear Bumper Mounting - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 08:47 PM
joeybcdt

Rear Bumper Mounting

Working on the rear bumper/tire carrier. I don't think there's any way of removing the old bumper without dropping the gas tank. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Joey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 08:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rear Bumper Mounting

I just put a WPwarrior rear bumper on a little while ago. You can do it with removing anything but it is a PITA. You will need a socket extension thing, a flashlight and lot of patience. I wound up lubing the ones that are hard to get too and I went back to them with a torch :-O Yeah, don't do that, it wasn't a good idea but it worked. My friend has a 7 and cut his off with a sawzall and then punched through the rest of the way with a large hammer and a punch. It was funny, shoulda been there. Anyway, it can be done, but its difficult for any adult with normal size hands. I hope this helps in some way...

Jay
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 11:49 AM

When I had my 95YJ and went to put in a tomken rear bumper it took a 6" socket extension and a wobble/ socket u-joint and a lot of paticence, not something that can be done it 5 min. unless your a pro.
barrelroll

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 12:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A real thin, banged up, and cut hand(and my hands aren't the smallest in the world either) and shorty wrenches is how I do it on the backside. Then regular length wrenches on the side you can see.

Seem like Jeep desided that the harder the bolts are to reach, then they won't weld them to the metal(windshield hinges, bumper bolts, etc.). Then there is the shackle bolts being put in backward in the rear.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=yellow>Barbie</font color=yellow> <font color=green>drives</font color=green> <font color=yellow>Wrangler</font color=yellow>, <font color=green>I got a YJ</font color=green>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 12:41 PM
Veteran

Don't even start to talk about funky fastener locations and arrangements on jeeps! My knuckles stratin' to itch! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Anyway, here's how I do it on a '91 YJ. I have a 3/8 ratchet and a 3/8 wobble/universal joint thingy. I put my hand behind the bumper feeling the nut with my fingers (that sounds scary [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]). Then I put the wrench BEHIND my hand slipping the socket/wobble between my fingers while guiding it to the nut. Then get ur hands outta there before you start wrenching (ouch!) and hold onto the wrench. I can do it now in 10 seconds flat. Course, I have a lot less flesh on my hands now then before I started. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] This worked for me, hope it works for you too.

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 05:34 PM

Loosen the body mounts and jack the body up. Seriously, I slid a wrench inside of mine, let it catch itself on anything to keep the nuts from spinning, then used a socket on the bolt heads. To install the nuts, I used masking tape to hold the nut in the 'teeth' of the wrench. Once a bolt was tight, the wrench would pull off breaking the grip of the tape. I have big hands, and the last time I took the thing off, it was 30 degrees with 3 foot of snow, did it in less than 30 minutes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode