did vent relocate on tf999: have some ??????????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

did vent relocate on tf999: have some ???????????

The tranny sucked water in again for the thrid time so i had enough of flushing it. I took it to the local tranny guy and told him what i wanted done. He understond the problem and said no big deal. Ok here is what happened. After i got it back i drove it for about 5 miles stopped to look for leaks and found a mess under the jeep. Not my problem so i brought it back. The guy looks under the jeep and says kick me in the ass. Ok so it was a stupid problem. It ended up that the new vent hose was lower then the top of the tranny. No problem re route the line then drive off. I go back to my brother in laws to finish up his EZ locker (which works great and is another story). Look under the jeep no new oil, lift the hood nothing. Great, feeling good. Finish the rear, open the garage door and lets go try them both out. Mine shifts fine, drives fine, put her in four low and go play. My brother in law has no problems. What a day to have but feeling really good. This morning take my jeep for a ride to wawa and get breakfast. Look under the jeep, tranny fluid (what the f&^$). Ok it came out of the vent. Ok here are my questions. Is this common? If i route the hose right under the tub will that help? Should i just go through the tub and mount it on the floor up the firewall? I am sure some one else had this problem. Sorry about it being long but i had too. I would bring it back to him but i dont like other people drilling holes in my jeep to run lines so i want to do it. .

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift, warn bellvue winch, custom front winch bumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 05:03 PM

Re: did vent relocate on tf999: have some ???????????

when I did mine I ran the hose all the way up to teh fire wall ( the glove box area actually) and it had a loop in teh line and a $2 fuel filter on it.

another guy had this problem a couple of weeks ago, the only thing I can figure out is its placed directly above a spinning aprt and throwing fluid into it, I really dont understand, unless its tempeture/pressure differntial problem

try the longer hose, a loop in it, and fuel filter on the end and see if that helps.

OzarkJeep

"If thats the way that you want it, well thats the way I want it more..."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Here is another question. If the line falls below the top of the tranny and gets fluid in there from splashing around the air would push it up right? The line is at the top of the firewall right now and has one of those gm style vents on it.

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift, warn bellvue winch, custom front winch bumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 05:23 PM

I have a feeling its installed directly over part of hte spinning mass that has the ability to sling fluid up into it, and then the gaseous pressure is forcing it out.

Im not fameliar with the GM vent cap, Im talking about fuel filter like a lawn mower would use, it will slow most of that liquid.

in fact, run that filter an inch or 2 above the vent fitting, then run hose on up to the firewall, that might work.

maybe your trans is overfilled too?

it could be a lot of things.

OzarkJeep

"If thats the way that you want it, well thats the way I want it more..."
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 05:52 PM
Official Historian

I have a th400 but probably the same concept. It has a vent on the top of the case behind the bellhousing. I attached some vacuum line to the trans and routed it up into the engine compartment and over the brake booster. I've never had any fluid come out of it.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode