oil problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 03:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

oil problem

OK, I have a 92 Jeep Wrangler with a 2.5L 4 Cyl and a 5spd Manual transmision. I have two problems with the oil and i don't know if they are related. The first(not necessarily the most important??) I have a canadian model jeep and the oil pressure gauge is in kpscl(or however it is abreviated). About a month and a half ago the oil presure gauge would always read 3 at any rpm above and idle, now as the rpms get about 1300 the oil pressure goes up in relation ship to the rpms, but here is the problem at 2600 rpm (highway speed) the gauge is peged. what is the cause of this. the second problem is massive ammounts of oil in the air cleaner box assebaly along with a white foam type substance. what causes these problemsk, and are they related thanks in advance.

TugBoat Proud owner of a 1992 JEEP Wrangler YJ
4Cyl 2.5L w/ 5 speed manual tranny
totaly stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 08:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: oil problem

The foam is moisture in the oil, the slobber in the airbox is excess blow-by that's not being pulled thru the pcv valve. The oil pressure spike may be garbage in the pressure relief valve or the filter may be plugged w/ junk... I'd clean the pcv system and the air box, get it real good and warm change the oil, and see what happens next. Do you drive short trips alot ? Maybe you should add a mechanical gauge directly to the engine and see what it reads.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 08:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if i take out my old filter and replace it with a k&n will it ruin it?? i know they are "oiled" filters but they dont' use the same oil do they?

totaly stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 08:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's hard to ruin a K&N. It would be the best way to go. You could also buy a K&N "sprint car" breather for about $10, and adapt it to that hose with some copper pipe fittings. Just hang the filter up high so it can drain back into the valve cover, That will keep the slobber out of your airbox.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2001, 12:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ok like i stated before my oil presure gauge has been doing that pegged thing for a while now i'm leaking from the tappit cover and the oilpan........and yesterday i left my brothers house and i get about a half of a mile down the road and the oil pressure drops to 0 so of course i shut the engine off check the oil i have oil. so i continue on i start up jeep again and i don't have my usual 3 kpcl i have 1.5 but i got pressure so i am gona drive it home easy i get goin and it starts droping again shut it off coast start it up 1.5 drop to 0 shut off coast i keep doing this( at this point i'm wonderign if all the oil is pumping up to the top of the motor and not draining down fastenough or what but i decide f-it and start driving again it drops to 0 and i keep driving but it never started ticking or anything...... ran an engine flush thrugh it today didn't help.... am i loosing that much pressure from the two gaskets or is it a different problem??? any help would be great thanks tim

totaly stock
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2001, 01:35 PM
jeepfiend

How many miles and what kind of maintenance has it had?

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2001, 09:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

its got about 82000 miles (the emisions maintenance light just came on) old man owned it before me said he took good care of it, i take good care of it i change the oil almost alwasy before it reaches the 3000 mark

totaly stock
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2001, 11:56 PM
Mud in my Veins

Without seeing it, it sounds like you've got a blown headgasket putting coolant into the crankcase which is mixing with the detergent in the oil creating jelled oil which is clogging up all the journals in the engine. I'm not guaranteeing that this is what's happening, but it would fit with all the symptoms you've described.

Steve 83 Bronco 4.9L
<font color=red>Build it; Don't buy it...</font color=red>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2001, 12:57 PM
Frank360

I run a 360, and seem to have the same problem... all my coolant fills the reserve tank but it seems there is not enough in the rad.. I changed the cap as it was pretty shot... I have the same oil gauge, with 0 to 6 and I run between 0 and 2 after the engine is at op temp.. I can hear a vaccum noise when I start driving, when I give it gas to accelerate.. when I start it cold its around 4 and 5 on the gauge... I'll look around for high flow pump and new intake manifold gasket, and whatever else gasket I'll need...

A Jeep is a Jeep..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode