Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 03:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dana 35 Questions

how can i check if my rig has ABS? it sure doesnt feel like it does

any #'s?

i wanna make sure i ordered the right Lock Right

also, i saw a 35C on the axle but my rig is an 89. i thought 89's didnt have the C clip?

any ideas?

thanks

[b]Boston Mangler
89 YJ With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://www.yankeetoys.org/mangler/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 03:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Dana 35 Questions

If its a 1989 D35c then no ABS, and the C means custom, Dana supplied the housing to Chrysler or AMC and they finished them in house.
Rick

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 03:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

>>>>>If its a 1989 D35c then no ABS, and the C means custom, Dana supplied the housing to Chrysler or AMC and they finished them in house.

**** Thanks, is this a solid fact or are there mid year, model issues?

thanks again

[b]Boston Mangler
89 YJ With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://www.yankeetoys.org/mangler/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 03:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1990s were the first year for the ABS.
Rick

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 05:11 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I may have just fell off the turnip truck [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] but wouldn't there be a wire of some kind coming off the trigger wheel inside the diff if it had ABS? There's got to be some kind of feedback. If there ain't no feedback device, there ain't no ABS, right?

I put on 90 c-clip axles in my YJ and there's no ABS on those either.

Good luck
Hope the D35 holds up with a locker in it, at least for a while, Mangler. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Go easy on the skinny pedal [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] With those 4 chipmunks inside your motor, you should be ok. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Pete

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 08:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mangler's earlier post had to do with the Lock-Right he received having collars that were too big for his axel tube. I pointed out that Wranglers came out with two axel housings -- ABS and non-ABS -- whether or not ABS was actually installed. My '95 YJ had an ABS housing, but no ABS.

The lock-Right for the ABS housing has smaller collars. If Mangler's 35 is original, it likely is not an ABS housing. If it was swapped in from a newer rig, it probably is, assuming the Lock-Right he received is, in fact, for a D35C. PowerTrax can ID the housing from the numbers.

Hewgag

The wise eagle keeps his talons hidden!

Visit my 2000TJ "Hewgag" in BackCountry Trailers' Back Country Rigs section at http://www.backcountrytrailers.com/
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 09:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the dana 35c was not offered untill 1990 and then it was an option not all 90 and later 35c's are abs if it is a abs axle it will have a wire that plugs in to the abs senser and the c in 35c means that it is a c-clip axle a 35 with no c has no c-clips it is most common on the xj

hardcore only
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 11:04 PM
Wrangler88

ok the "C" in DANA 35C stands for CUSTOM as someone else pointed in the above post, it doesn't have anything to do with it being a "c-clip" or "non-c-clip" axle, 87-90 are non-clip, 91 are c-clip.. and thats all she wrote... the C is for the axles were made but chrysler or whoever put differnt ratios in them and so thats why they are Custom...and i'm 100% sure u don't have ABS, u would sees some kinda of braket for it or something, just pull your front tires off and take a look, it should just be the rotor, caliper and a brake line...the newer ones have it, especialy since i believe yours is an "S" model which came with no options what so ever...hope this helps

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode