SOA conversion questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 12:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

SOA conversion questions

I'm fairly new to YJ mods and would like to ask some of you kind people who have worked on these fine Jeeps(cough cough) How much time and money it would approx. take to do this conversion. Remember I'm looking for approximates, I know the basics will need to be replaced/altered...brake lines etc...

No matter where you go......there you are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 12:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: SOA conversion questions

heres my opinion....
the stock front axle on a yj(vacuum operated dana 30) is not worth all the trouble of a SOA. i have done many spring overs, and it takes me about 7 hours with a lift and all the nifty tools and a buddy helping. it gives about 4 inches of lift with yj spring... yes 4 inches.. not 5.5 like everyone says.. cj springs give you just over 5, but yj springs give just over 4. you could just buy a 4" lift kit and save a lot of work. if you are doing this, youre probably looking at putting at least 35's on it, and neither of the axles are up for that.

~~Elusive~~
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1553931
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 01:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How well do the YJ springs hold up in an SOA setup (sagging)? Do the CJ springs tend to hold up better? Is the difference in lift amounts (CJ vs. YJ) because the CJ springs are slightly arched and the YJ's are flat? My CJ-5 is pretty much the stock weight, with the exception of a 283 V-8. I would like to add a winch and heavier spare tire carrier onto it, but would the YJ springs hold up to this extra weight? Do the YJ springs ride better than the CJ's in this config? Thanks, Bret

'56 CJ-5, 283, t-90/d18, 25/44, 32's on 15x10's,no lift yet, cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 01:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the feedback elusive. I had a feeling the stock axles wouldn't be up to snuff. I will hafta save some more or rethink my plans for this beast for the time being. I scoped out your pics. Nice rig...I especially liked the categories family pictures 0 friends 0 kids 0 but, TJ tire carrier 10 pics. Good God!!! Gotta love being a man.

No matter where you go......there you are.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 06:51 PM
Can't Get Enough

You will have to get longer brake lines, a slip yoke eliminator kit, a CV rear drive shaft, lengthen the front shaft, get longer shocks, get a bracket to raise the front track bar, put on a dropped pitman arm, new front and rear u-boults. As for axle wrap, I cut the eyes off a stock rear YJ spring and added it and the second leaf to the raer spring pack. I then had to cut anouther YJ main leaf and add to the front to level the jeep. My spring over gave me 5 1/2 inches of lift. The spring mods added anouther 1 inch.

"Honestly, I didn't lift the Jeep.
I,um..ah..lowered the axles"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode