steering/caster+- - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

steering/caster+-

I've managed to shore up most of the slop in my front end, but the steering is still downright scary. My opinion is that the caster is way off. Does anyone have any idea for what the reccomended caster is? Does the amount of lift or 33" tires figure into what the caster should be, or is it a pretty much standard figure? And finally, does anyone have any reccomendations as to how to measure what the caster is on my CJ now? Thanks!
-Sully

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 12:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: steering/caster+-

hey sully
i am going thru the same problem right now. i bought an 83 CJ-7 to toy with and create a capable off road machine. i got it bone stock and it had SCARY SLOP in the steering. i figure i would fix it as i built it up. i added leafs and 33's and shackles. none of this affected the steering, it was exactly the same. i adjusted the screw on the steering box and that helped slightly. i realize none of this babbling has helped with either of our problems, i was figuring on checking the alignment next to see if the toe or camber was off, and to get an opinion on the caster theory.
if i ever get it satisfactory i'll post the results
hang in there wish i was back in AZ again
bob

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 83 CJ-7 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] <font color=red> IF YOU AREN'T LIVIN' ON THE EDGE YOU'RE TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM! </font color=red>

<font color=blue> Quitcher Whinin' </font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 01:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

do a search on caster.. lots of good stuff..
heres a little..
look straight through your ball joints. the top one should be towards the rear of the jeep compared to the bottom one.. this will be positive caster. if they are perpendicular to the ground, thats 0 caster. as the top joint goes back, thats positive caster. you wanbt about 6.5 degrees positive caster and everything will be happy. i usually do fine with any positive caster.

~~Elusive~~
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1553931
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 01:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Positive caster is usually necessary, otherwise the vehicle will be all over the road. The only ones I can think of offhand that used zero caster were some Scouts. There was a very good discussion on this subject on the bbs last year, you may want to search for it.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 03:26 PM
cj7jeep

Just helped a buddy with his steering. 90% of the slop was in the steering shaft. The joint at the gear box and the bearing in the column were toast. Might check it out.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Yep, I had some of that too.. replaced the shaft. The worst part of my slop was coming from the crappy homebuilt shackles that were on it when I bought it. Turning the steering wheel with the jeep parked would cause the shackles to flex nearly a fully inch either direction. Imagine what they were doing while moving, with the full weight of the CJ pushing 'em back and forth! Talk about scary!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 04:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey more great info
for the 1 millionth time
THIS BOARD ROCKS
bob

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 83 CJ-7 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] <font color=red> IF YOU AREN'T LIVIN' ON THE EDGE YOU'RE TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM! </font color=red>

<font color=blue> Quitcher Whinin' </font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 04:59 PM
Bill4x4

I just went through the same thing. I go a new steering box took all the slop out of the linkage a steering. Had the camber caster done and the Jeep was still a hand full to drive. Then one day I let some air out of the tires from 32psi to 26 in the front and 25 in the back and it tracks good now. I think with that 3in lift and 33 BFG mud tires and 32psi the tires were leaving the road on every bump. Let me know if any one else has come to the conclusion or if that helps you.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 05:38 PM
Old Hand

Just a quick note....

If you have any kind of shackle lift (and you don't have a shackle reversal) you are reducing the amount of caster. You can buy degree wedges to help get the correct angle.

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode