86 Renegade Needs NEW exhaust - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 09:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

86 Renegade Needs NEW exhaust

Hi Folks,
I finally found a board for my Jeep questions! I am restoring a 86 cj7 Renegade with a 6 cyl, weber carb with 140k miles on it. Shes pretty rusted but mechanically sound. First thing on the agenda is the exhaust, the cat is shot. The exhaust really needs to be replaced and I'm asking everyone out there for their opinions on what to go with, what brands and whos got the best deals? I've got a bum arm so all the work will have be done by a local mechanic. Only thing I care about is that it doesn't sound like a tank when I drive it. A nice rumble is ok but I don't want it too loud. Looking forward to learning all I can here! Thanks much, Billy in New York

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 09:35 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: 86 Renegade Needs NEW exhaust

Personally I would take it to a local exhaust shop and have them put stainless on it. There's a shop in town that I take all my vehicles to and they custom bend the exhaust to your specific requests (exit location, diameter). They also install stainless muflers and cats with a lifetime warranty on the entire system all for about $225. I know that the price is up there with the Borla systems, but this one is custom bent to run up out of harms way and I never have to worry about it again. I'm sure that there are some who will disagree with me, but it's just my .02

80 CJ7 258 T176
36X12.5 Swampers
Fiberglass body
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 11:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wanted to say welcome to this board. I personally dont have alot of exhaust experience, but if your Jeep has alot of rust and you dont want to spend much money. I would first ask for a performance cat and then add a dynomax turbo muffler(good sound, great price) with tip going out the original spot behind the rear tire. Doesnt sound like you want something too fancy or aggressive and that set up would work fine.

Rich

76 CJ5 304 "its a JEEP thing, I hope you understand"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 12:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a stock 360 and run a cat only with no muffler and that has a good sound but is surprisingly not all that loud. I just built a new exhasut system from scratch out of an old cheesy mini-truck bolt-together roll-bar. Basically it was a great source of 3-inch OD, .085 wall DOM with alot of bends in it. That should hold up for awhile... :-) - Chuck

Chuck Hadley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode