steering questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 08:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

steering questions

calling all steering experts. my cj-7 still wanders and the power steering seems exceptionally sensative. as it sits now i am running 33's, added leafs, and extended shackles. new rancho 5000s. before, it was BONE STOCK w/31s. the steering dampner is stock.
all inputs will be appreciated and evaluated
thanks
bob
and it was exactly the same before and after the mods. i adjusted the set screw on the steering box, filled the power steering fluid, and tightened the belt. and i have set the air pressure in the tires at 22psi.
this does not appear to be an alignment problem nor a balance problem. it just gets a little wild and remains very sensative

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 83 CJ-7 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] <font color=red> IF YOU AREN'T LIVIN' ON THE EDGE YOU'RE TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM! </font color=red>

<font color=blue> Quitcher Whinin' </font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 08:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: steering questions

Check all the joints in the linkage, it sounds like you need more + caster.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 09:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i had the same problem when i put on extended shackles. it throws off the caster. took em off and they were better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 03:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah, like i said the steering was the same before and after the shackles so the next stop is the alignment shop.
hey that sorta rhymes-----sorry
thanks
bob

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 83 CJ-7 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] <font color=red> IF YOU AREN'T LIVIN' ON THE EDGE YOU'RE TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM! </font color=red>

<font color=blue> Quitcher Whinin' </font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 01:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Extended shackles would do it but you said same before and after. Check steering shaft for extra play and for any damaged,bent tierod arms. I had a wandering problem. Found out my tire shop put 40 psi in the 33 in tires. Down now to 24 and runs much better and straighter.

76 CJ5 304 "its a JEEP thing, I hope you understand"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 05:00 AM
Keyboard Implanted

look at your ball joints.. see what conditions they are in.. and most importantly.. their location.. straight up and down.. or what? the top ball joint should be tilted towards the rear of the jeep for positive caster.. is your steering box loose? have someone sit in and turn the wheel while the jeep sits still.. and you watch.. you will be amazed and what moves.. even if you think its tight.. if that steering box moves.. retighten and get yourself a power steering box brace.. one of the more important mods anyone can get...

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode