80 cj carter starvation?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 12:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

80 cj carter starvation??

I think I over did it when I ajusted the float. I ajusted the float the other day but had to take it in to get the mixture reajusted. my questiono how can i learn to reajust the mixture settings on my carb? that way I can play with the carb to get the right setting for off roading and on roading with out the $$$

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]http://members.home.net/paul5696[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 06:14 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: 80 cj carter starvation??

I'm in the middle of doing this myself. The '79 gets an idle smog check and it failed. Running rich. Also missing a little. Checked the idle tubes per the Jeep Tech section, o.k. Checked and adjusted the power piston per Haynes and Jeep Bible. Float stuck open and couldn't get her started. Gonna beat it with a 2x4 or take it off once again(was too scared to remove idle tubes with it on the engine) and rattle the poo outta it. Maybe get a rebuild kit and pull the top. Gonna get it tweaked with a vacuum gauge and a tach. as much as possible and also replace the original converter then keep my fingers crossed.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 07:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sr. Paul -- I am not a pro ; here is my experience . I rebuilt Carter BBD in January. As I replaced the 2 idle mixture screws, I started by lightly turning them all the way in to seat them . Then , I backed out each one 2 1/2 turns per instruction manual . The Jeep fired up right away and sounded very good . I was surprised . Yet, I followed the instructions and alternately turned each mix screw out 1/4 turn each while monitoring RPM to identify when the RPM maxed . At approx a total of 3 turns out from fully seated , my engine had max RPM . Beyond that , as I backed out the idle mix screws , the RPM dropped . Note : The engine had to be at operating temp (195 degrees) and the idle screw adjusted to approx 650 RPM . The 650 RPM idle may take some back and forth between adjusting mix screws and then lowering the idle speed low enough , as the ideal mix setting caused my idle speed to peak . I believe that the idle RPM has to be low enough so that the throttle plates do not open too much as this would start to expose the off-idle fuel/vacuum channels . Hope this works for you .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 08:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I will give it a try and lwtt you gay know haw it went. will have to wait till the week end thought

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]http://members.home.net/paul5696[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 03:08 PM
Enthusiast

I don't know about turning them out till max RPM. I was taught (and the TSM sez) back out the idle screws 3-4 turns and turn IN, evenly on both screws, untill max RPM. I picked up a cheap tach to do this so I didn't have to keep sticking my head in the door. It also came with the above instructions. You could also do the same with a vacuum guage (can also use it to set timing). Only you would turn IN untill you get max STABLE vacuum reading and then back out for a drop of roughly 30 RPM (80 Carter BBD).

“Most people would die sooner then think - in fact, they do so.”
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 08:22 PM

If I read your post right you just had it set by a pro $$$
What you aught to do before you do anything else is get yourself a screwdriver go out there and see howmany turns it takes to seat them .....WRITE IT DOWN then turn them back out where they were set .then you will have a reference when you start messing with them.I usually forget to write the settings down.do as I say not as I do LOL

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 08:51 PM
Can't Get Enough

First make sure that all of the ignition is correct, and the engine is warm.

Then, remove all of the variables. That means to pull the p.c.v. valve from the valve cover, and let it draw fresh air. This eliminates any problem with fuel dilution in the oil. Then pull the purge control line from the charcoal canister and plug it. This eliminates any problems with fuel saturation in the canister.

Then set the mixture screws to the highest rpm. Next, set the curb idle speed 10% over spec. That means that if the curb idle speed calls for 700 rpm, set it to 770 rpm. Now re-set your mixture screws to the highest rpm again, to be sure, and re-trim your base idle screw to the 770 spec. Now turn in (lean) the idle mixture screws until your 700 rpm spec. is meet. This is called lean drop, and can be verified with a propane enrichment tool. Now, hook up the pcv and charcoal canister, and re-trim your base idle speed. Now you can follow the data tag for choke idle speed adjustments.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 11:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There sure seems to be a lot of different opinions on how to set up a carb? I'm not sure which is the right one for me.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 06:21 AM
Can't Get Enough

Dorfs, your discription sounds like the best I've heard so far and as soon as I can reseat the float valve(cause I was turning the carb upsidedown when I checked the idle tubes), I'm gonna go your route. The PCV and Charcoal can. were a bit of a mystery. My '79 CJ-7 258" carb. on an '85 motor didn't pass idle HC em. test. I just slapped everything together with the 258/T-5/D300 transplant and started it up. It has a slight miss at idle, this is what I suspect did it. She'll pull to 5 grand w/o complaining. Thanks again. BTW, your cat to dog ratio is way out of line. We have 2 of each and does it get warm in the bedroom at night when everybody wants in.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 09:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok my next question is this, What's whith the choke on these things I never had so much truble with my old carb. when its cold it will mack the truck flood It even did it once after the truck was wormed up and I shut it off the a couple min. latter tried to start it. It will also flood going up a hill but not when going douwn the same hill. Any suggestions guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode