OT- web hosting... I bought "sycho15.com" ! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

OT- web hosting... I bought \"sycho15.com\" !

Well, after trying to update my webpages on geocities using Front Page 2000, I managed only to lose almost every file I had on there (thankfully I wasn't messing around with my SRC website!)

Now, I need to know how to host my own website. It cost me $70 to register the domain for two years through http://wwwdomain.com, and I feel that is enough money spent on this! I've got plenty of hard-drive space, lots of RAM, a cable-modem, and am building another computer thats even bigger and better.... What else do I need?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 11:15 PM
Old Hand

Re: OT- web hosting... I bought \"sycho15.com\" !

Do you have a static ip with the cable company? Also, what software do you plan to use for web hosting? I run linux on two machines and it's free and easy to set up a web page with if you're experienced with command prompt type systems.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 11:27 PM
Old Hand

For an example of how easy linux is once it's up, go to my ip address http://24.166.182.4/. this is a dynamic ip which changes every couple weeks. the page you see is automatically created by linux(slackware 7) when installed . to set your own up, you make an index page, place it in a certain directory, and link to whatever from it. Right now i could make that into a site, and use it through this board as a url link that i call whatever i want, without ever paying for a domain name or static ip.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 04:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

damn.. youre talkin greek to me.. i just used freeservers.com... its free for 25 meg.. my page is huge.. and im sittin at about 8 meg..

you are talkin about hosting the page on "your" computer right?.. i have a cable hook up.. and well.. just dont feel comfortable running it on mine.. if i ever knew how.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 07:19 AM
Veteran

What I did for our club & for our business is go through yahoo website hosting - its $14.95 a month (I think) $14.95 for the setup - which includes your domain name purchase. You get I think like 100 meg - way more than I'd every need - plus they host it, so it isn't on your computer & THE FRONT PAGE EXTENSIONS WORK. And you get groovy [email protected] email addresses. Anyway - I had shopped around & that was the best I found for what I needed - I had used geocities before & I sucked. But I did this about 1 year ago & deals may be even better now.

BTW - Jeepgod - I have tried to go to your site a bunch of times & it always comes up "page cannot be displayed" I've tried at home, at work & both on Explorer & Navigator - just wondering whatsup - I'd love to seee your site.

-Mel
www.in2jeeps.com
www.hrja.org
www.national-lighting.com

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 08:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's cool... I do alot of this kind of work, let me know if you need any help!

Tom

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Well, I've already bought Sycho15.com for two years, so I'm in this for the long haul, for better or worse. I don't want to spend $15 a month to be stuck trying to upload tons of things, and making sure everything on my computer matches what is on the site, etc. I'd like to use FP2000 to create my websites... I do have the cable modem (which has its own firewall for when I'm not using the internet) but I can also get that free software based firewall Team Rush was typing about a while back. I want to use my computer as the server, and have everything based in-house. I dont want to be spending $15/month for something I can do myself.

I grew up on DOS, absolutly hating Windows, for a good 2-3 years. Then Windows 95 came out and we got that on the computer and I had no choice but to use it. Its not too bad now, and I love the multi-tasking, but I still remember how to get around in DOS just fine....

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 09:54 AM
Veteran

What I like about using the yahoo deal is the ease & flexibility - and I don't know enough to set up my computer as a server - the flexibility I am speaking of is making changes to the website "live" - from any location - this is usually what I do - I can change my website from any computer that has Front Page Installed onto it, my home & work computers both have cable modems & I can easily abridge the websites from either location - and the changes are instantaneous once you hit the save button. The way I work it is that our club has another member who is the webmaster, but as the secretary of the club, I know the password for the website, and because the site was set up in Front Page, I can go to the site and make changes, and add little things here & there if I so desire (I usually let our webmaster know I did it). I guess the downside is that if Yahoo takes a dumper, then all is lost, but I really doubt that would happen. I would think (and will probably tell me that you can) dial into your computer from another location, but the bottom liine is that *I* don't have the knowledge capabilities to do so, and I would imagine that some other folks aren't comfortable with being their own server. But I can certainly appreciate your desire to save the $15 a month & do it yourself & maybe someday I'll be knowledgable & comfortable enough with things to do so also. Good luck - it's always nice to see new Jeep related websites - especailly ones with tech articles! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
-Mel

BTW - in regard to your other post about how much axles & such are worth - just take a look at the 4wd hardward catalog & OK 4wd's site - 4wdH - wants $1100 for a currie axle with R&P & setup - Think about it - if you knew how to cut & weld these axles well - $100 for the axle from junkyard - $60 to have the shaft resplined whatever time you have in cutting it $200 for the R&P & setup = $360 in parts & whatever in your time, paint, welding costs - you could probably sell them for $750 - $900 IMHO. OK sells the cut Dana 44 front from a scout for $995, not including R&P, but I know that it has at least one new shaft. Anyway... that has nothing to do with computer [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 11:29 AM

Adam,

Are can you give some more info on how that system works? Are you saying that you can create a web site and give it a name without having to register that name???

Lugnut 77 cj5
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 12:31 PM
Old Hand

No, you can't name it where someone could go to www.mysite.com for free. I was just saying that for use on sites like these boards, you can put a link to your ip like i did and put your page(s) there. You can change the name so it doesn't show the ip, but it's not an actual domain. In sycho's case, he already has the domain name, so if he got a static ip(one that never changes) a crappy computer,like a pentium 100 is what one of mine is with a 2GB drive, and download linux and apache web server for free, he would have a good reliable web site with space only limited by the size of the hard drive. That's the great thing about Linux, it's free. At the same time that computer can be a Firewall, Router, File/Print Server, or Workstation. It does cost about $40/month more from RR for a static IP though. There are cheaper routes, but to host a website from a computer at home you will need a static IP for sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode