OME lift install on YJ questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 10:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OME lift install on YJ questions

I have a couple of questions before I begin the install. First, I got the J1R springs for the front. Do I need the degree shims on the front or can I take them off? Second, what part of the bushings need grease. Thanks for any advice.

the Dude

87 Wrangler, 258, tf999
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 06:10 AM
sas87yj

Re: OME lift install on YJ questions

dude-
not familiar with OME but how much lift are you going? did the kit come with shims? i did not install any shims in the front with my RE 4.5" lift. the front shaft is long enough to take up the lift without shims. the front shaft is only used for low speeds so vibes aren't a problem. you did not get greasable shackles and spring eye bolts? well if not the kit should require you to grease the bushings i would assume.
steve

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 03:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The lift is supposed to provide up to 2 and a half inches of lift. The springs came with shims already on them. I removed the ones off the front springs cause I didn't think they would be necessary. I just wanted to see what anyone else thought about it before I put the springs on. No I didn't get the greasable shackles and main eyes. That will be a future mod.

the Dude

87 Wrangler, 258, tf999
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 06:10 PM
Official Historian

Here's a way to see if you need the shims although a little extra work: remove your front driveshaft and measure the angle of the pinion. Then measure a spot on your frame. Figure out what this angle is. When you put the new springs on, take these two measurements again. If the difference changed more than a couple of degrees, you will need the shims. Remeasure after a couple thousand miles when the springs have settled in. By measuring the pinion change, it will also tell you how much your caster has changed.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 06:31 PM
sas87yj

will-
would you have to take the axle off to measure the pinion angle before the new springs? couldn't you put a protractor on a machined flat surface like is on the rear of a dana35? so you are saying if the caster has changed more than a couple of degrees, shims should be installed? i assume we are talking about correcting the caster and not the driveshaft angle right? if so, to make the caster more positive (when the lower ball joint is ahead of the spindle) the thick end of the shim would be placed forward. this would at the same time make the driveshaft angle worse. catch 22?
steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode