YJ Engine Swap : 5.0, LT1, or other - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 09:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

YJ Engine Swap : 5.0, LT1, or other

I have a 93' YJ and I want to put a V8 in it. I want to use for many different things including rock-crawling, blasting around in the sand and the desert, and as a daily driver. I am concerned about the engine running hot! I don't want it to run hot! Which engine should I use, what are some things I should consider? I have an NV4500 and Atlas II that I will be bolting it too. I have a Dana 44 in the back with a Dana 30 up front with the Warn Full Floater kit with the cro-moly axles. What are the advantages or disadvantages between the engines? Which one is better?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 11:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: YJ Engine Swap : 5.0, LT1, or other

To quote an old saying "If you have to ask how much" then it's to expensive. Now, please don't take me wrong. I've converted my CJ5 to a Small Block Chevy, and spent over $3000 doing it. I did all the work myself. I really doubt that very many mechanics would want to do an engine conversion. In the mechanic business, time is money. It takes lots of time to do an engine conversion. Most mechanics could make twice or maybe threes times as much money fixing vehicles that need one or maybe two parts to get fixed. An engine conversion would require lots of unexpected parts, and time delays. I would think that finding a mechanic to replace an original YJ engine these days would be hard enough, let alone a conversion. I'll make a wild guess, and say that maybe for $5000 you could get someone interested enough to get a V8 for your YJ and install it and not overheat.
dave

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 11:37 PM

Fill out your profile it would make it much easier to answer the question. A V-8 swap can range form a less than a grand to 10k or more. I'm assuming that your YJ still has the factory tranny/t-case/axles in it. Everything would need to be replaced to really handle v-8 power. What size tires do you want to run? If you are running 35's or smaller and 300 or less horse power d44's should be fine. If you have a lead foot 35's or bigger and 300+ h.p. get d60's. As for power options probably the AMC 304 360 or 401 mated to a t18/d20 combo wouldn't be bad or hard to do but if you are going to be replacing the entire drive train a chevy 350 tranny and t-case or a ford 302/351 tranny and t-case would be about the same cost.
Barrelroll

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 07:44 AM

I am currently working on a 5 liter swap for my 87 jeep wrangler. I am using the ford motor for several reasons. I dont need to change my radiator because the inlet/outlet are in the correct locations and I already have a heavy duty radiator in front of my 4.2 . Also i found the 5 liter for a lot less than I could possibly find an LT1. I purchased a complete 88 mercury for $500 which gave me all the nesescary wiring, and sensors. The 5.0 is also lighter and an easier fit. Z&M conversions makes a bolt in engine cradle. Most companies sell conversion parts for chevy engines because they are mor popular, but do you really need a 300 horse power LT1 under the hood of a jeep?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode